• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia - anyone been? (1 Viewer)

Alf King

I'm visiting Ethiopia over Christmas with my wife on a birding trip. Whilst everything has now been organised and we seem to have a wealth of advice from the tour organisers I was just wondering if anyone on here has visited and has any general or specific advice about the country.

We will be visiting Addis, Debri Libanos, Langano, Goba, Negelle, Yabelo, Awassa, Wondo Genet and Awassa. We're fairly seasoned travellers and have visited Africa on a number of occasions previously.

I have spent a number of weeks there, it is a stunning country, but the one of the things that truly remains memorable are the kids - unique in the world how annoyiing they are! So the advice is, pack enough stones to throw at them ;) Seriously, one kid sees you and instead of staring or running up to say hello, as elsewhere in much of the world, he or she has a very different reaction, he shouts 'fOOR ann GEE, fOOR ann GEE' at the top of his or her mouth, a cue for another 20 or 50 kids to arrive, they then (with big smiles and a genuine friendliness) proceed to follow you, follow you very closely! In fact, they start to mimic you, you scratch your head, 50 kids behind you scratch their heads (or actually 70 kids, as the constant chant of 'fOOR ann GEE, fOOR ann GEE' continues unending, thus attracting more and more kids). Then you accidently trip over and, by god, the kids, now upward of 80 and still climbing, all trip over behind you! Now this is highly amusing for the tourist concerned ...the first time, perhaps second time too. But, boy after a month of this, you sure are sick of it and nothing, nothing, persuades them to relent. So to the birding, forget it near villages, the crowd of kids has now reached 90 and any self-respecting bird uses its wings to escape the oncoming rabble.

But, somehow, you finally lose the kids and the country is actually stunning and most of the endemics fairly easy at the best spots. Elsewhere, birding usually fantastic too, I will try to search out my notes and give you some better tips.

PS I was there over a decade ago, so the kids may be better now (ha ha ha). To do the little brats justice though - with the exception of in Addis (where be very careful if kids crowd you), there was never any malice from the kids, they found the presence of a tourist purely an event to enjoy.

Last edited:
I will be coming back from a three week trip there on December 19th if that is any good - or will you have set off by then?

Steve

I have spent a number of weeks there, it is a stunning country, but the one of the things that truly remains memorable are the kids - unique in the world how annoyiing they are! So the advice is, pack enough stones to throw at them ;) Seriously, one kid sees you and instead of staring or running up to say hello, as elsewhere in much of the world, he or she has a very different reaction, he shouts 'fOOR ann GEE, fOOR ann GEE' at the top of his or her mouth, a cue for another 20 or 50 kids to arrive, they then (with big smiles and a genuine friendliness) proceed to follow you, follow you very closely! In fact, they start to mimic you, you scratch your head, 50 kids behind you scratch their heads (or actually 70 kids, as the constant chant of 'fOOR ann GEE, fOOR ann GEE' continues unending, thus attracting more and more kids). Then you accidently trip over and, by god, the kids, now upward of 80 and still climbing, all trip over behind you! Now this is highly amusing for the tourist concerned ...the first time, perhaps second time too. But, boy after a month of this, you sure are sick of it and nothing, nothing, persuades them to relent. So to the birding, forget it near villages, the crowd of kids has now reached 90 and any self-respecting bird uses its wings to escape the oncoming rabble.

But, somehow, you finally lose the kids and the country is actually stunning and most of the endemics fairly easy at the best spots. Elsewhere, birding usually fantastic too, I will try to search out my notes and give you some better tips.

PS I was there over a decade ago, so the kids may be better now (ha ha ha). To do the little brats justice though - with the exception of in Addis (where be very careful if kids crowd you), there was never any malice from the kids, they found the presence of a tourist purely an event to enjoy.

Sound advice Jos. My wife is a teacher so I will be able to call her bluff on her ability to control crowds of children.

You will have a fantastic time as the birding is wonderful. You will arrive home with just about all your money in tact as there is nothing to spend it on! As you have been to Africa before you will be used to the poverty but in some areas it will still disturb you.
We had a good time in Wondo Genet but I have heard that they have cut a lot of the trees down. Distances are huge between sites but the main routes had good surfaces with tarmac. Prepare for a big list!
Have a good time
Sue

Advice on money is very helpful Sue as you obviously know. On the one hand I don't want to change a load then have to change most of it back whilst on the other hand changing money anywhere outside of Addis is difficult, so the balance will be a challenge. All of our food is already provided so it will be cash for a couple of beers together with whatever souvenirs might be appropriate.

I do appreciate the poverty of the country in general and hope that our visit might help in some tiny way.

It's good to hear that the endemics can be pinned down reasonably easily taking into account my finely honed dipping skills.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Just back last weekend. Had a great time - saw lots of good stuff and missed lots too, which is par for the course with me. I'll write a trip report in due course but, in the meantime, if anyone is thinking of going there then don't hesitate and just do it. It's a great place with wonderful scenery, great people, genuinely good food and excellent birding.

Sounds like a portable one of these http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/mosquito_order.html might come in handy. Don't think it exists though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back