• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seville 27th, 28th November (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Am visiting Seville on the above two dates. I guess I'll go down to the Coto Donana on at least one of them. If you've got any particular advice on where to go, or will be in the area and would like to share a car, please let me know.

Thanks

Arbu

Can anyone advise where the best places to go to look for red-knobbed coot, marbled duck and moustached warbler would be? Thanks.

Probably the easiest site to find Red-knobbed (or Red-crested Coot) is Laguna de Medina. Head down the motorway from Seville towards Cadiz taking the turning off on the A388 on the south side of Jerez towards Algeciras. After a couple of miles exit for Laguna de Medina (it's well signposted). The birds can be elusive, but walk along the two wooden walkways and with patience you should find them close to the reeds near the end of the second one. Another site is Lagunas de Espera, but it's harder to find (I can post details if needed).

Marbled Duck I've never had any luck with at this time of the year so can't help. As for Moustached Warbler, they seem to be a LOT rarer in Cadiz/Seville province than many suppose. In my view you would have to be very fortunate indeed to find one in this area,
John

Thanks. I was planning to go to the west side of the Guadalquivir River for the main area of the Coto Donana, but it doesn't look as if I'm likely to see much there that I haven't seen before (except maybe Spanish Imperial Eagle), so I could go to the east side instead. I could also go to the Brazo del Este while I'm there.

If I don't see the coots at Lago de Medina I might want to try Lagunas de Espera. On the satellite photo I can see three small lakes about three miles west of the town of Espera. Is it those?

Thanks. I was planning to go to the west side of the Guadalquivir River for the main area of the Coto Donana, but it doesn't look as if I'm likely to see much there that I haven't seen before (except maybe Spanish Imperial Eagle), so I could go to the east side instead. I could also go to the Brazo del Este while I'm there.

If I don't see the coots at Lago de Medina I might want to try Lagunas de Espera. On the satellite photo I can see three small lakes about three miles west of the town of Espera. Is it those?
Probably - I've added my notes on the area (plus directions) below

"Lagunas de Espera
This is lovely little site is a pleasant diversion on a trip to Arcos (well worth a detour in itself). Lagunas de Espera (the generic name for a collection of several small lakes) is a good site for White-headed Duck, Crested Coot, Purple Gallinule, Flamingo, etc. The track to the reserve is degraded in parts (esp. if arriving from the west), but in generally good condition. As with any open area in this part of Spain the route can be excellent for birds of prey (which in winter may include Bonelli's Eagle and the odd wandering Spanish Imperial Eagle). Laguna Dulce is often quoted to be the best of the three for Crested Coot, but I've only found them at Hondilla (possibly because it's the easiest to view). All three lagoons attract White-headed Duck; the largest flock I've seen here was of 63 birds in Feb 2004. Flamingos are often present and Ospreys regular. Black-shouldered Kite is also to be found in this area. Calandra Lark may also been seen along the track
The castle in Espera also offers stupendous views over the countryside and, accordingly, should be a good site for visible migration.
Other lakes in this complex include Laguna de Taraje* (to the north of the main three lagoons) and is not to be confused with the lake of the same name north of Medina Sidonia) and Laguna del Pilon (to the west). Still further north, maps show large lagoons near Lebrija (Laguna de Valle de Ojo) and Las Cabezas de San Juan (Laguna de Zarracatin); as yet I have neither visited these nor can I find any useful information regarding their value as birding sites.
* Note: Confusingly there's a second, better known, Laguna Taraje north of Medina Sidonia). In some years (e.g. 2006) the lakes may be dry and bereft of the target species.

Access: The Lagunas de Espera reserve are well signposted off the minor road from Espera to Las Cabezas de San Juan (Espera itself is due north of Arcos). The track skirts the steep hill on which the castle stands and then strikes right across the campo for several km before reaching Laguna Hondilla, the smallest (and most overgrown) lake. Just beyond Hondilla, a gated track runs left from the road and along the southern edge of the largest lake, Laguna Salada de Zorilla. Continue along the track and over the rise to Laguna Dulce (c10 mins. walk). Other lakes in this complex include Laguna del Pilon (bone dry in 2006) & Laguna de Taraje - lie a little further to the north (still wet in 2006 but I've not yet found a clear public access route here)".

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back