• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Invasive species ban proposed (1 Viewer)

I notice Wild Boar gets a mention, which is most certainly not an alien species and is rather less dangerous to the public than the motor car. Goshawk also has no business on the list.

John

I notice Wild Boar gets a mention, which is most certainly not an alien species and is rather less dangerous to the public than the motor car. Goshawk also has no business on the list.

John

Yes the Grey squirrel on the listing speaks volumes here - better late than never I suppose :h?:

.... and the Harlequin Ladybird (introduced from Asia) which was discussed on Autumn Watch last night. Quite confusing to identify, as they come in so many colour formats. It was mentioned that they come in 100 colours/spots designs. They bite by the way. :eek!:
There are 30 to 40 types of UK ladybirds as it stands, and Harlequins like to eat our native species of Ladybirds.

At least surveys are being presented at the moment to work out full extent of the problem. Harlequins are not dangerous, they are prolific breeders, and they will affect the food chain for many other species.

Wonder what will happen at the end of the day here with many of the mentioned species? ;)

Regards
Kathy

As I understand it,(but could be wrong!) species like Goshawk (and Red Kite amongst others) are included to prevent unauthorised releases of non native, and genetically different, stock which could lead to the degeneration of the native species. Only authorised release programmes could then be carried out.

Having reread the paper itself properly I'm not sure this actually does much. Most of the animals on the list would be illegal to release as non-natives under another section so I think this just is an attempt to block off loopholes and recognise a few realities about naturalising species. I'm not sure I have an issue with gos or wild boar as I'm not sure unsanctioned releases should really be approved.

Green Pheasant (and hybrids) will cause a stink with the shooters I'm guessing. I'd like to see that ban on sale order be used for a bit more than ruddy duck and the more obscure crayfish aliens (interesting to note new signal cray legislation in line too).

Yes the Grey squirrel on the listing speaks volumes here - better late than never I suppose :h?:

Regards
Kathy

The phrase "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" springs to mind with grey squirrel, Japanese knotweed, mink, ring-necked parakeet, eagle owl and probably others as well.

Joanne

I would like to add Rhododendrons to the UK list as they are non-native British species. It seems they originate in New Zealand and islands in the south pacific. .... This plant loves acid soil, and damp wet climates (West Coast of Scotland weather).

The thing now is that people in the UK see them are plants to add to their collections of plants to their gardens, so it might be a bit of an oddity in this sense. ;)

Years ago I used to cut evasive. Wild Rhododendrons on the Isle of Rhumn, West Coast of Scotland, along with volunteers from a Wildlife group. This plant would grow so dense to the point that no other native species of trees or greenery would grow at all. It was considered a real threat to all wildlife.

The native plants could not grow to the point that they could not get any light or sustenance form the soil. Rhoddies (my nickname for them) are very clever and can grow from one of their own branches which has fallen on to the soil.

It was a question of doing a yearly hack of the plant itself, and burn it to keep control of the spread of Rhododendrons itself.

All of this was monitored by Wildlife agencies, and was taken on board as as serious issue then. I wonder how the same plant is viewed now?

Anyone know how the status of this plant is monitored now?.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Rhododendron ponticum is due to be added to the list by this paper Kathy - the other species (most of which are of himalayan/chinese origin) are not so problematic nor are the garden hybrids most people plant these days. You are quite right about its problematic nature; it also poses particular problems for a number of species in terms of habitat alteration - reptiles in particular

Anyone know how the status of this plant is monitored now?.

Regards
Kathy

I can't find any links but heard something on the radio recently. It is taken very seriously and I remember some mention of the enormous cost of eradication in parts of Wales.

I also recall hearing about the idea of using pigs and poultry to clear it from woodlands.

Could this be a job for the wild boars?

I can't find any links but heard something on the radio recently. It is taken very seriously and I remember some mention of the enormous cost of eradication in parts of Wales.

I also recall hearing about the idea of using pigs and poultry to clear it from woodlands.

Could this be a job for the wild boars?

Hi rozinante

Could this be a job for the Wild Boar. It needs an animal that loves saplings, and young leaves. I am not sure weather Rhoddies (my nickname) have nasty substances in the plant that may harm animals too. I could see this being the case here. Would that affect the digestion of the Wild Boar?

So Wales has suffered too from this invasion of this plant. It is something else is it not. It just seems to grow anywhere up bows of trees, in the guttering of your house - it is a true pest.

Rhoddies if burned on a bonfire has a distinctive smell of acid (if that sounds right) and it is not nice to smell at all.

It looks although it could be UK wide as issues go, and I believe that the weather in England is much milder than Scotland as a rule too. So that adds to its expansion. Hot, sticky, damp and acid soil.

Hmmm... here

Regards
Kathy

I have another alien species to our lovely list of non-native species in the UK

The Giant Hogweed. I am not 100 per cent sure where it originated from, but it may be closely associated with Denmark. It was introduced to Victorian Gardens. Tried to find out more but no luck yet!!

From a Scottish angle it was very invasive, and has taken over the natural native Hogweeds which are much smaller.

Also the fact like all Hogweeds it can give a nasty skin rash if you happen to break a milky white filled stem.

I remember doing a lot of Wildlife Volunteering at Bawsinch Reserve at Duddingston in Edinburgh. In the same reserve there where an invasion of Giant Hogweed and at one point - one plant by the gateway to the reserve, measured 18 foot high and its umbrella shaped flower heads where easy to shade under on a wet day. It was a monster. (wish I had a picture)

I do not know so much about the Giant Hogweed in England, and I would love to know more? :t:

Regards
Kathy

I have another alien species to our lovely list of non-native species in the UK

The Giant Hogweed.

Also already on schedule 9. The list of plants on there is fascinating and well worth a look (its in the consultation paper link in post 1).

I do not know so much about the Giant Hogweed in England, and I would love to know more? :t:

Regards
Kathy

Well, Genesis wrote a song about it in the early 70's ;)

It's always been a plant that has fascinated me, and it's still very visible in west london along the A40. It's reputation of injuring small children only endeared it to me further 3:)

cheers,
Andy

hi Andy

Yes, love Genesis in all their glory. Looking at the song you mentioned here.

The Return of the Giant Hogweed lyric
"Turn and run,
Nothing can stop them,
Around every river and canal their power is growing."

Well times have changed I am sure here, and we still have Gaint Hogweed in our midst.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
hi Andy

Yes, love Genesis in all their glory. Looking at the song you mentioned here.

The Return of the Giant Hogweed lyric
"Turn and run,
Nothing can stop them,
Around every river and canal their power is growing."

Released in November 1971 on the album Nursery Cryme The Return of the Giant Hogweed has the spread of a weed as its subject. The lyrics exaggerate somewhat but I remember one summer when I was hired by a local farmer to tackle the menace. Armed with protective clothing, a sharp chopper, a large metal syringe and a concentrated solution of Sodium Chlorate my task was to eliminate the Giant Hogweed from a stream running through the farmer's land.

The procedure was first to disarm the enemy by decapitation, removing the poisionous leaves which caused blisters if they touched bare skin. The effect was heightened by the spines on the leaves and sunlight which seemed to activiate the poison. The decapitation left a hollow stump in the ground. Sodium Chlorate is a weedkiller which was commonly used by sprinkling on the leaves. However in this instance a solution was injected down the hollow stump to kill the roots of the plant. Slowly and methodically the plants were felled and poisoned along the length of the stream till none of the Giant Hogweed remained.

Well times have changed I am sure here, and we still have Gaint Hogweed in our midst.

Interesting here, Sodium Chlorate, not to readily got now, I would have thought (like DDT powder!!!) :eek!:

Small children, and blisters. :eek!: ;)

Regards
Kathy

For a minute I thought you were relating your own personal experience.
Probably best to aknowledge the author or site from where you took the italicised text?

cheers,
Andy

For a minute I thought you were relating your own personal experience.
Probably best to aknowledge the author or site from where you took the italicised text?

cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy

I was trying to be polite that is all, never mind

I have no understanding of copyrights here

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
I remember a young lad I went to school with many years ago using the hollow stem as a pea shooter - to shoot fragments of blotting paper soaked in blue ink (really made a mess of a school uniform. After an hour or two his lips and tongue started swelling up and the daft sod ended up in hospital.

I remember a young lad I went to school with many years ago using the hollow stem as a pea shooter - to shoot fragments of blotting paper soaked in blue ink (really made a mess of a school uniform. After an hour or two his lips and tongue started swelling up and the daft sod ended up in hospital.

hi ikw101

Oh dear not so good.

I hope that the lips and tongue where all right. :eek!:

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back