• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Literature info needed (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi all,

I would like to know some good books/ publications on the following topics

1. Great Auk (wasnt there a thread about that somewhere here? don´t remember in which forum?)

2.Dalmatian pelican-former distribution in Europe
Accordeing to remarks in some books this must once have been a middle european bird with breeding at the rivers Thames, Elbe, Rhine, Maas, Schelde?
Don´t know where I found it , though- it was distributed over several books.

3. Egyptian goose- actual distribution in europe and former distribution ( have read a remark somewhere that there was a population in the lower danube basin or in the mouth of the Danube river that became extinct in the 17th or 18th century

4. Parrots in Europe (though the actual situation is probably ahead of the literature)

Thanks, Jörn

Hi Joern,

Dalmatian Pelicans used to breed in Britain (Somerset in SE England), about 800 or 1000 years ago. They probably occurred right across Europe, but were presumably hunted to extinction in most areas.

There's a book about the Great Auk, I think by Fuller (have to check that).

Michael

Thanks, Michael!
Found the Fuller Book , will try to get it!

What about the Egyptian Goose population, that was said to have occurred in the Danube River basin-Danube Mouth?

Did you ever hear or read of that?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back