• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another tasty dinner in the garden (not for the squeamish) (1 Viewer)

helenol

Heard a couple of magpies going absolutely mad this afternoon. Looked out of the window to see the following:

I have posted a few more images on the gallery.

Unfortunately conditions weren't too good. It was very overcast and dark, and I was taking the photos through a small crack in the window I managed to open without disturbing Mrs. S.Hawk too much. (It is a female sparrowhawk??)

Quite gruesome, but what an awesome sight to watch. She eventually flew off with the rest of the carcass.

Attachments

• PB180504spawk.jpg
    PB180504spawk.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 328
  • PB180542spawk.jpg
    PB180542spawk.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 243
  • PB180568spawk.jpg
    PB180568spawk.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 247
  • PB180588spawk.jpg
    PB180588spawk.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 224
A collared dove, that had been quite happily feeding on my lawn just minutes before!

She seems to take mostly collared doves around here.

helenol said:
A collared dove, that had been quite happily feeding on my lawn just minutes before!

She seems to take mostly collared doves around here.

Lovely shots H. At least she's taking a bird that is expanding quckly, Jane's cat was nicking Song Thrushes. Wretched Cat

Not enough blue tits around after thier devestating
breeding season, + it must be a more substancial
meal!!

In the last couple of years Sparrowhawks hunting my garden (both sexes) have taken 2 Collared Doves (always messy), at least 2 Blackbirds, 1 Blue Tit and a Starling (very neat, this one - only the beak was left!).
This is not to mention 2 that have flown into our back garden window - one trying to get a Canary on my windowsill (its now in a very roomy aviary with its friends - the Canary, that is).
My son also brought me a still warm male Sparhawk that had flown into a 'clear glass' bus shelter. A really nice bird up close.
I'm attaching a pic of one of the culprits (not as good as Helen's).
Steve.

Just before she flew off, she took the carcass onto the lawn. Great for a photo, except for the chair that she was standing behind! Typical!

Fantastic shots Helen!

Do you mind if I use the first picture as my Desktop background?

I quite often get a male Sparrowhawk appear in my garden but haven't witnessed a kill yet.
:clap:

Bristolbirder, go ahead it's ok. This is the second kill I have seen, the first one was a few months ago, but I disturbed her (unintentionally). With these pics, she was there for at least 20 minutes. I would guess a dove is quite a substantial feed for her.

Yep, they certainly do. Couple of months ago, we had an escapee in our garden, a beautiful yellow canary. It lived quite happily for a week or so, until Mrs S Hawk went in for the kill. Even something as small as a canary - there was lots of mess around.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back