• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tarcol Lodge (1 Viewer)

sidwemn

I'm looking to take a trip to Costa Rica later next year with my wife and 16 year old son. Main aims of the trip will be general wildlife and butterflies - I'm the only birder of the trip.

We are planning the trip using Costa Rica Gateway, who have suggested the use of Tarcol Lodge when visiting Carara. The advantage of using the lodge is that is comes complete with a guide for the duration of your stay, and overlooks the estuary, so I get to do some birding from the veranda.

Disadvantage is that were're told the accomodation is very basic. Has anyone stayed there? Would it be suitable for the family, or should we go for somewhere like Villa Lapas?

We don't mind basic, so long as it's clean.

Thanks
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I went last year and stayed in the 'basic' pension right by the bridge over the Rio Tarcoles. The rooms are 'basic' with just a bed, toilet / shower and fan but are fine. You might want something a bit plusher for the family though. There's a restaurant right next to the rooms owned by the same people and the food and beer are great. It's very cheap and you are right on the spot for birding with Scarlet Macaws etc over the river and Nighthawks etc. Plus it's only a shortish walk to the Vigilancia trail and the park HQ. You dont need a guide as such (can't get lost and there's nothing animal wise to worry about) but I think they are fairly cheap and they know their stuff.

The Tarcol lodge might be a bit better for Mangrove Hummer and other mangrove species and if you don't mind getting a driver then that might be better. Villa Lapas is supposed to be very nice but you'd have to drive down to Carara

Thanks Tim,

I think in the interests "family comfort", we are going to go for Villa Lapas. It's only a 5 or 10 minute drive to the Carara trails. We'll just have to make sure we don't leave anything of value in the car.

We were hoping to use a local guide where possible. There don't seem very expensive and with a little luck will be able to "enhance" the rain forest experience for the family whilst I focus on the birding!

Thanks again

Martyn

I've stayed at the Villa Lapas. The rooms were suitable for a family, the grounds are very nice, and the food was good. The birds were reasonably good on site with short trails in the forest. The hummingbird feeders were dry when I got there, but they filled them on request.

It might be worth your time to book a Mangrove Tour(2-3 hrs) at the Tarcol Lodge, its fairly inexpensive, I believe they have a website, so you could check prices. saw Yellow-naped parrots and panama Flycatcher on the tour last year, along with lots of other good birds.
Avery

Hi Martyn,

I visited Tarcol Lodge a couple of years ago (05) and found it excellent - you are right on the mangrove side so some excellent birding can be had from the veranda, heron, kkingfishers, waders. The beach nearby is also good for terns, pelicans and yellow headed caracara.

It is also within easy walking distance of mangrove areas for the specialities, mangrove warbler, hummingbird etc. The accomodation is fine - quite simple, but certainly clean and the owners were extremely friendly.

Carara is a short (10mins) drive - but the lodge will arrange transport. We had a great days birding at Carara, great for trogons, manakins - we also had slate collared seedeater, grey throated leaftosser etc. In fact some of best and easiest birding we enjoyed in the whole country.

Enjoy!

Ben

Stayed at Tarcol a couple of years ago. Think the local term is 'rustic'. The road down to the Lodge is extremely dumpy. Food was great though and place is clean. Not sure it is suitable for a family though when most are non birders.

Hi Martyn,
When are you going? I'm there late feb/early march.
I did mine through Geodyssey (excellent BTW) mainly because I started trying to book rooms on my own (having got a cracking price for flights (via Newark from Manchester)) & found that almost everything was booked solid. And Geodyssey's room rates are cheaper than I found! (It seems that many agencies pre-book blocks years in advance. Especially in the dry season)
I wanted to stay at Villa Lapas as first choice, but will be at Punta Leona instead for five nights. I have a 4x4 for the fortnight, so can do Carara every day I'm there. I tend to avoid guides except in exceptional circumstances, and info. on CR from Trip Reorts, etc. (& friends who have been) is abundant, so I know I'll be OK.
Like you I needed places with some comfort as Mrs.H is not a birder - but likes pool & beach.
Good luck,
H

Many thanks everyone for your replies and help.

We've gone for Villa Lapas, mainly for the added comfort and because I am the only birder in the family. I've booked through Costa Rica Gateway, who I have found to be very helpful.

We will be there in July, not the ideal time, but my son is taking his GCSE's in May/June and this is his post exams "reward". He's really into butterflies, bugs, ants and anything that creeps in the undergrowth, so we though this would be an ideal destination for him (and the birding's not bad either!). It's not the best time of year, being the middle of the "green" season but a bit (or a lot!) of rain and mud has never hurt anyone.

We are going to Tortuguero (as we all wanted to see nesting turtles), La Selva OTS, Arenal, Monteverde and Villa Lapas.

Again, thanks for all your comments

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I am leading a group at most of your stays from this coming Friday 25th. I will post-up a trip report asap on getting back around 12th February, but if you would like any private info please feel free to PM me.

Hi Martyn, Stayed 3 nights at Tarcol in early Jan, 2008. Would advise against taking non-birding family. Wonderful people, great food, excellent guide - which I think is extremely important in dense habitat. No hot water when I was there, 9 people sharing 1 bathroom, 7 foot ceiling with ceiling fan duct taped sort of in place. Get up and stretch and-well, you get the picture. The boat tour through the mangroves is extraordinary! Costa Rica Gateways generally did a fine job for us.

Hi Martyn,
When are you going? I'm there late feb/early march.
I did mine through Geodyssey (excellent BTW) mainly because I started trying to book rooms on my own (having got a cracking price for flights (via Newark from Manchester)) & found that almost everything was booked solid. And Geodyssey's room rates are cheaper than I found! (It seems that many agencies pre-book blocks years in advance. Especially in the dry season)
I wanted to stay at Villa Lapas as first choice, but will be at Punta Leona instead for five nights. I have a 4x4 for the fortnight, so can do Carara every day I'm there. I tend to avoid guides except in exceptional circumstances, and info. on CR from Trip Reorts, etc. (& friends who have been) is abundant, so I know I'll be OK.
Like you I needed places with some comfort as Mrs.H is not a birder - but likes pool & beach.
Good luck,
H

Hi H,

Your wife is going to adore Punta Leona, the facilities are 1st rate for non birding family members. You must do the Mangrove tour with the boat company next to Torcal Lodge very experienced and good at finding the most sought after birds. Make sure they take you up river away from the mangroves for such species as Southern Lapwing and Double-striped Thick-Knee. If you need any further info then PM me.

:t:

Hi Peter,
I hope you had a good trip. Thanks for the offer of info, I'll get in touch if theres anything I need. I'm looking forward to your trip report!

Thanks
Martyn

Hi Peter,
I hope you had a good trip. Thanks for the offer of info, I'll get in touch if theres anything I need. I'm looking forward to your trip report!

Thanks
Martyn

Had a great trip as usual thanks and as an aside, if you are using CRG then ask Kevin to put you in touch with a 'good' local guide. A local and good guide is a real bonus for Carara especially to find the right time and spot for bathing/drinking Manakins - spectacular!!

Oh, will do the trip report and hope to post it by the end of this month!!

Last edited:
Peter,
Thanks very much for that.
Look forward to your report: would be really good if you post it before I go on the 27th.
Cheers,
H

Peter,
Thanks very much for that.
Look forward to your report: would be really good if you post it before I go on the 27th.
Cheers,
H

Hi H,

I am working on it and will do my best to get it posted before I go on another trip this coming 19th. Hope you will find it useful.

Costa Rica is awesome in July.
The worst time of the year is January and the first half of Feb.
March and April are DRY in Guanacaste ( brown-leafless) and hot as Dallas.
Lapas is the right choice.
Tarcol is..... ummmmmm " Rrrrrustico !

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back