• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cozumel, Mexico, info requested (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

I plan to be on Cozumel Island, Mexico next weekend and would appreciate any advice on maximising birding opportunities.

It is not really a birding trip, due to the prescence of non-birders, but a chance to see the endemics and any other new species cannot be ignored!

I'll obviously search BF archives etc, but any post Hurricane Wilma info would be particularly useful; getting around, birding sites, etc.

Trevor

Trevor,

I have a report on the net from a five week trip including a week on Cozumel - search for 'Birding and duding in Yucatan' and you should get it...

Cozumel is lovely and the endems are fairly straightforward... good spots are the failed developments south-west of town - take the only(!) road in that direction for 6.3 km and turn inland just before the Hotel Presidente. Two Km inland on this road are the developments (just a grid of streets really, overgrown now i expect). The emerald, wren and vireo were all around here as was Rose-throated Tanager i recall. And a large vicious dog!

Alternatively head north-east out of town on the main road and btween 5/6 - 8/9 km is good birding with the endems and others. If you have a car i expect just driving around and looking for good scrub etc will yield all the good birds...

The Deep Blue dive shop in the centre took us to see turtles laying for free. If you have time they may give you details on where to go etc...

anyway, nice place, nice beer, food and people. have a great time!

Sorry, Trevor, that I can not be of any assistance with information on your upcoming trip "south of the border". But, I wish you much success during this trip to pick up some new birds!

Trevor,

I have a report on the net from a five week trip including a week on Cozumel - search for 'Birding and duding in Yucatan' and you should get it...

Cozumel is lovely and the endems are fairly straightforward... good spots are the failed developments south-west of town - take the only(!) road in that direction for 6.3 km and turn inland just before the Hotel Presidente. Two Km inland on this road are the developments (just a grid of streets really, overgrown now i expect). The emerald, wren and vireo were all around here as was Rose-throated Tanager i recall. And a large vicious dog!

Alternatively head north-east out of town on the main road and btween 5/6 - 8/9 km is good birding with the endems and others. If you have a car i expect just driving around and looking for good scrub etc will yield all the good birds...

The Deep Blue dive shop in the centre took us to see turtles laying for free. If you have time they may give you details on where to go etc...

anyway, nice place, nice beer, food and people. have a great time!

Cheers, Tim, just read your report and got a good flavour of the place.

You worried me more with the BotFly than the dogs!

Thanks for the help.B :)

Cheers, Tim, just read your report and got a good flavour of the place.

You worried me more with the BotFly than the dogs!

Thanks for the help.B :)

Trev

the botfly surfaced about 3 weeks later, there was a loud scream form the shower one Sunday morning. The girlfriend managed to pull it all the way out and we kept it forever in a specimen jar!

I think they're reasonably common - there's a video of a Punkbirder friend of mine having one extracted on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqltB00eZHM

Last edited:
Trevor,
I also posted a trip report for Cozumel that might help a little. Steve Howell's Bird Finding Guide to Mexico would also be a help along with his Guide to Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America. Hope you have a great trip.

Hi Trevor,
there are a couple of trip reports post 2005 available somewhere on the net (birdtours or surfbirds or somewhere obvious - if you can't find them, i've got them saved on my PC and can have a look for you). I think the summary of these is that while the vireo was still easy enough to see the emerald and wren were much more difficult than they previously had been (part of the reason I decided to axe cozumel from a recent tour round the yucatan i made). They also mentioned rose-throated tanagers were absent from the botanical gardens at Puerto Morelos so they might be tougher on cozumel now also. The situation might well have improved since those reports were written so hope you can be the bearer of good news!
If you need up to date info on any of the other "classic" yucatan and qu roo sites (apart from puerto morelos) i might be able to help also..
Cheers,
James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back