• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon 8.5x44 HHS (1 Viewer)

Chris Oates

Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...
I've owned these for a while now and during that period I've changed camera four times and scope once - the bins however are still the delight they were when I first looked through them.
I've gone from reading/short sight glasses to varifocals and still see perfectly through the bins, maybe the focus could be a tad faster or the eyecups a bit sticker..but no matter...
One of my best ever purchases.

I have to agree. I've had mine for about four years now and I still think they are great binoculars. The focusing is a bit slow but on the other hand it's silky smooth. I tried out a pair of Swarovski SLC 8x30s as the specs sounded good but the focus wheel was very stiff and, with it being at the 'wrong' end, the binoculars were wobbling about as I focused and were unusable for me. It was a relief to get back to my trusty Swifts.

It sounds as if, like me, you have the original version with the pull up eyecups, which have an annoying tendency to retract on their own. The new version has twist up eyecups and a centre adjusting diopter setting which should be better.

Overall I think they are excellent binoculars with superb build and a ridiculously low selling price.

Ron

Last edited:
I'm delighted with mine too. My mate has the Zeiss FL 7x42s and we swapped bins in a hide last week at dusk watching streams of starlings fly past the sunset to their nearby roost at Meare Heath in Somerset. His had a wider field of view and were a tad brighter (but not much) though no sharper. What's more, the eye relief wasn't as good as on my Swifts and even with the eyecups fully extended I still had to hold the Zeiss's slightly way from my eyes to get a decent view. So, for me, overall my Swifts, with the twist-up eyecups and which I bought about 9 months ago from Ace Optics in Bath after trying several different makes, were definitely preferable. He wears specs and so turned the eyecups right down and was certainly impressed with my Swifts too (and wasn't just being polite). The new diopter setting is also excellent. Once adjusted, that's it, no further need to fiddle ever again unless your eyes change. Price difference around £600 - £700. Frankly, I have no desire to upgrade, but so far I've yet to meet anyone else with a pair. Everyone else seems to have Swaros, Zeiss, Leicas, Nikons or Opticrons. I've looked through most and not been convinced any of the premier makes are worth the huge price difference. In fact for me some have been, for one reason or another, definitely inferior to my Swifts. But bin choice is a very personal thing and you should always try before you buy as there is significant variation even between the same models.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back