• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF-65ED and Pentax PF-65ED II (1 Viewer)

Tero, the PF-65ED-A is listed at the bottom right of the 6 scopes shown on the referenced page. That may be the scope you call the PF-65ED. I didn't compare the specs for the two scopes so I don't know the differences between them.

II proclaims to have less chromatic aberration and "improved" design. I like my I. II is cheaper. I am guessing II is not made in Japan (which might reduce manuf costs) but have not been able to confirm.

Matt

I haven't seen the PF65 ED II or ED A II anywhere for cheaper than the first PF65's. I have a PF65 ED-A II and it is definitely made in Japan. It says it right on the scope. Here is what PENTAX says about the difference between the I and II:

PENTAX PF-65ED II/PF-65EDA II FACT SHEET

High image performance
The new 65mm spotting scopes have been improved over our previous models by modifying all optical systems and improving lens quality and layout. This new optical design enhances the overall performance of the spotting scopes but specifically assures high quality results when attached to a PENTAX digital camera.

65mm objective lens
The 65mm objective lens is the perfect combination to give the maximum light gathering ability in a compact form factor.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/footer/news_media_article?ArticleId=9517223

I haven't seen the PF65 ED II or ED A II anywhere for cheaper than the first PF65's. I have a PF65 ED-A II and it is definitely made in Japan. It says it right on the scope. Here is what PENTAX says about the difference between the I and II:

PENTAX PF-65ED II/PF-65EDA II FACT SHEET

High image performance
The new 65mm spotting scopes have been improved over our previous models by modifying all optical systems and improving lens quality and layout. This new optical design enhances the overall performance of the spotting scopes but specifically assures high quality results when attached to a PENTAX digital camera.

65mm objective lens
The 65mm objective lens is the perfect combination to give the maximum light gathering ability in a compact form factor.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/footer/news_media_article?ArticleId=9517223

Since I want to buy from one store, and be able to return both parts, I will go with the II, slightly more expensive currently, and a Vixen 8-24mm zoom eye piece. If the Vixen does not work, I will send it back and get a 30x or more fixed Pentax.

(it is now ordered, so do not try to change my mind, I will see them for myself)

Last edited:
Pentax PF-65ED II

Hi ya'll:

This may be a good place to jump in and share my experience with this spotter.

Have had this scope for about 6 months now, the straight-thru version. Several factors came into play influencing the purchase: 1) good comments on the v.1 model in better- view desired 2) design features like H20-proofing, light wt., ect. 3) ability to use standard 1 1/4" eyepieces and 4) excellent price at the time, $409 USD for non-angled version. Since I all ready had a number of astro-oculars this would get me in the ED-dedicated birding scope game for what looked like an sweet deal.

I'll refrain from going into an extensive review, since most of the pros and cons have been covered by other threads and comments, and my overall experience synchs up with those. Yes, the focus is a little coarse and "fiddle-y"; that is, it doesnt seem to snap-to the best focus with the ease of an astro-refractor like the WO 80 FS, for example. My sense about this, and I could be way off: the problem is about 70% mechanical, and 30% me trying to wring out that last bit of uber resolution, which the little bugger is just not going to give out. In any event, this bit of kit could definitely use a coarse/fine dual focus knob. However once best focus is reached, there really is little to criticize. Outstanding color rendition (at least to me), contrast is excellent with a touch of purple fringing on high contrast objects: raptors/cormorants against a bright sky, for example. Under normal circumstances, not even evident. I don't really see any of the various flavors of (what I call) geometrical distortions; the field seems quite flat, with good focus clarity to about 80% or so to the edge of the field. In fact I must confess the image is good enough that I havent found it necessary to go looking for aberrations, normally one of my, ummmmmmmm, most practiced spectator sports, optics wise. Panning especially is a very natural, relaxing exercise.

The net effect is that the image has that sharp, natural, easy view that is the hallmark of a well designed and executed optic.

My most used eyepiece at present is a Hyperion 13mm, sorry but I don't recall the FL. of the scope at the time, but I think that puts me working at about 30-34X or so.

In case someone might be interested in what I might be comparing the view to, mentally speaking, my main birding glass right now is a Zeiss 7X45 Fl, with a Nikon 8X32 SE as a backup.

Recently, side by side during our local bird club's field trip, my friend had his Swar 65HD set up, and we were both viewing a distand Red-tailed Hawk loafing around in a plowed field WAY off in the distance. John, my friend, went back and forth between the 'scopes several times, finally commenting "well that looks pretty damn good to me".

'Nuff said.

"My most used eyepiece at present is a Hyperion 13mm, sorry but I don't recall the FL. of the scope at the time, but I think that puts me working at about 30-34X or so."

The FL=390mm so your 13mm should be giving you 30x

Just for the record:

PENTAX SPOTTING SCOPE FOCAL LENGTHS:

65MM st or angled = 390MM
80MM st = 500MM
80MM angled = 520MM
100MM st = 620MM

Last edited:
Back to the eye piece issue. I looked at some ducks and grebes today. I definitely like about 45x to see detail. So an 18-49x zoom plus maybe a 32x fixed would be a good combination for me. Depending on how I like the Vixen zoom.

My scope is somewhere in a UPS truck, maybe just left Chicago. I was hoping to test it Sunday. And that the eye piece is in the same package. I bought a Vixen one.

OK, it is here. I was able to put on the vixen eye piece easily. It has a close focus some 20ft, so I looked at the wall handheld, very bright at low magnification to 12mm on the zoom. I will have to calculate what the 12mm, 8mm and 24mm coresponds to in power, but the 8mm end is about 49x.

When a strange person comes on my scope and tries to fiddle with it, there are three things to turn. One loosens the eye piece! I will have to stand by it, when others use it.

Also, the mounting part is a bit funny. Mounting plates have usually a screw and a pin on the tripod end. Well, the scope plate part has just screw holes, three of them. I had to attach my tripod plate sideways, with the pin part being useless.

Last edited:
Also, the mounting part is a bit funny. Mounting plates have usually a screw and a pin on the tripod end. Well, the scope plate part has just screw holes, three of them. I had to attach my tripod plate sideways, with the pin part being useless.

The three hole are so you can mount it at different positions with heavier or lighter eyepieces so the scope will balance nicely on the tripod. The holes double as holes for the pin depending on how you mount it. A 13 oz XW will be much different than a 5oz XF for example.

So, now I have the zoom eyepiece, Vixen. Works fine to 49x.

I am now thinking of an actual Pentax eye piece, XF12. How much wider will the field of view be with the fixed XF12 over a zoom? At 32.5X.

Anyone doing digiscoping with this XF 12?

Barlow eyepiece

Good-day to all,

I'm feeling a little silly asking this question
but here goes:-

What's a 'Barlow' eyepiece used for?

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Good-day to all,

I'm feeling a little silly asking this question
but here goes:-

What's a 'Barlow' eyepiece used for?

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Probably a subject for another thread, but a Barlow is effectively an multiplier, usually 2x. So if you have a 26mm ep with a 2x barlow, the ep is effectively 13mm. I believe there are some eye relief advantages with doing this. A good barlow can work with little image degradation.

Wikipedia will probably have a better explanation.

Matt

Probably a subject for another thread, but a Barlow is effectively an multiplier, usually 2x. So if you have a 26mm ep with a 2x barlow, the ep is effectively 13mm. I believe there are some eye relief advantages with doing this. A good barlow can work with little image degradation.

Wikipedia will probably have a better explanation.

Matt

Many thanks Matt.

young Ian.

Matt is correct, a barlow isn't an eyepiece per se, but an eyepiece adapter that changes the effective focal length of an eyepiece. It's the same concept as a telextender for photography.

As an FYI, several folks have tried using barlows with the Pentax scopes to try and gain magnification, and the scope will not reach focus. The focuser tube doesn't have enough room to seat a barlow deep enough to achieve focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back