• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 jays! (1 Viewer)

seb_seb

Just had 5 jays squabbling over my bird table!!! That was until the magpies decided to aerially assault them. Ive only ever seen 1 or 2 at a time and thought they werent very social birds. So are they social? are they likely to be a family group? or immigrants from the continent?
Seb :bounce:

This does seem unusual. Derek Goodwin's Crows of the World states: "Jays are usually seen in pairs, small straggling parties or singly (mate sitting) but never in compact groups. When crossing open ground, members of a party always go one by one, the second bird not usually breaking cover, even when being forced to leave by an approaching human, until the first is some way across. Pairs flying together are never very close; usually one is at least several yards behing the other."

I would be very honoured to have a Jay in my garden I have never ever seen one in my garden I too have had Magpies at the feeder don't bother me tho cus I like Magpies ;)

We had two jays bring their two young into the garden to feed. At first you could tell the juvenile from the parents, But soon after they looked as much the same. Now we have two again.

Theyve been coming back and forth all day..the noise coming from hem and the magpies is getting tiresome but its great to see so many. Unfortunately when they are around...the lil birds dont come

Theyve been coming back and forth all day..the noise coming from them and the magpies is getting tiresome but its great to see so many. Unfortunately when they are around...the lil birds dont come

Hi Seb-Seb.
what a sight, 5 Jays all at once!! only ever get 2
in our garden and then they are very skittish, 1
feeds then flys to fence, other comes down, and they never fly of together. as Steve says very
unusual.
bert.

Is it me or do there seem to be more about this year?There were alot of them over Hatfield Forest the other week and I ran into two sitting on the path walking round Hanningfield Reservoir this morning - and I think the reservoir might have been drier.

Hi Seb,

Very likely to be a family group, I reckon. Parental care in terms of teaching them how to find food supplies (mainly acorns, but also birdtables) for the winter continues for quite a long time

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back