• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Look is that a Seal on yonder rock? (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I’m looking for information on locations around Britain where Seals (of either species) congregate, either when hauling out onto rocks, breeding areas, or just hot spots for feeding.

I’m particularly interested in sites that can be viewed directly from land (using scopes if required). This includes large island coasts and will avoid taking young children on choppy boat trips.

So far I’ve watched seals from land at the following:

Godrevy Island - Viewed from Godrevy Point (East of St Ives, Cornwall)
Kitterland (rocks) in the middle of the Calf Sound - Viewed from car park at end of A31 facing the Calf of Mann (South tip of Isle of Mann)

Possible viewing from land that I haven’t investigated yet:

Seal Island, otherwise known as The Carracks (West of St Ives, Cornwall)
Donna Nook, close up views of breeding colony Nov/Dec (Lincolnshire coast)
Lundy Island – Apparently the boat across to the island is of a good size and has indoor cabins.

Where as my trip to Skomer(Pembs.) was easy with an immobile baby but would be hairy with a toddler who jumps around.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

There are 100-300 Atlantic Greys which haul out onto the West Hoyle bank in the Dee Estuary at low tide. To see them well you would have to walk out to Hilbre Island. I've taken my small ones out there...its about 1/2 a mile from West Kirby.

We viewed lots of seals (not sure which variety) from a layby along a minor road round the south side of Loch Fleet in Scotland. They were basking on the sandbanks and swimming around. Very good views through binoculars as they were very close in.

We have a decent breeding colony of 30+ seals at Greatham Creek near Billingham. They can be viewed daily with binoculars or scope and infact swim alongside you as the travel between their low tide resting areas 400 yards down Greatham Creek to the Tees Estuary. This is a daily thing and they can be seen throughout the day usually from about 20 yards distance. They also crop up off the nearby North and South Gare piers.

The low tide resting area is about 100 yards from a road bridge with nearby car park.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back