• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Eagle behavior (1 Viewer)

Colleen-AK

I photographed some Bald Eagles circling like vultures... I was not aware of this type of behavior? It started with one and gradually built to 5 bald eagles all circling off this cliff... Made me want to go check if someone was hurt....
I just moved here 2 months ago..and I've seen many Bald Eagles..but have never seen them flying together..or circling... (not that it doesnt happen).. Is this an expected behavior?

Attachments

• eagles circle3 rz.jpg
    eagles circle3 rz.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 100
  • eagles circle4 rz.jpg
    eagles circle4 rz.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 92
  • eagles circle5 rz.jpg
    eagles circle5 rz.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Oh my yes indeed they certainly do! they like to catch the thermals (of air currents) and drift around. They may be getting a good view to do some hunting, or just -as I like to call it- going for a walk!

I have a video of a large number of eagles coming in for a night roost. It's by the Harrison River here in southern British Columbia, during the salmon run in late autumn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMUFl1pnlek

It's almost like a dance isn't? With some following others, various partners changing, dropping in an out.

-Keta

That video is exactly what was going on-- like they are playing with the air currents! I saw several others flying up a bluff on the water..I was at the top..and spotted them as they cleared the top and turned back to fly down.. I thought--what the heck are they doing? I went to the edge and they each took another turn and then took off-- they were quite surprised to see me at the top HA! Gave me an appreciation of the wing span on these birds.. they're really quite large! Thanks again for the link!

Yes the wing span of a full-grown female will be about 9 feet, whereas standing on the ground they are about 3 feet tall. It's especially noticable when there are other birds around (like gulls or crows). Herons are the only birds around here that come close to an eagles' wingspan . . . and they are ever so much taller when standing!

Enjoy the sights where you are! There will be very many eagles there for the winter . . . as spring comes they will begin flying back south to wherever they live. There are, of course, year round eagles where you are! Just much fewer numbers.

Actually, there is a large number that nest in the area... but thank you for enlightening me--I had thought there were some that flew south for the WINTER. I got fairly close to a very large 3rd year female-- she was markedly bigger than any eagle I have seen... and I've seen quite a few.. she was all of 3'...I didnt see her wingspan-I didnt want to disturb her.. but I know it had to be huge... I've been close to several mature eagles..they must all have been male...

Yes the wing span of a full-grown female will be about 9 feet, whereas standing on the ground they are about 3 feet tall. It's especially noticable when there are other birds around (like gulls or crows). Herons are the only birds around here that come close to an eagles' wingspan . . . and they are ever so much taller when standing!

Enjoy the sights where you are! There will be very many eagles there for the winter . . . as spring comes they will begin flying back south to wherever they live. There are, of course, year round eagles where you are! Just much fewer numbers.

Keta,
I don’t mean to seem rude or anything like that but I have been working with eagles for many years now and I have seen the largest female I have ever seen and I can assure you the wings will be about 7 feet on her. On most of the ones we recover both dead and alive for either rehab or up for an autopsy for cause of death most birds come in at about 6 feet + with several females at 7 feet. The resident golden now at the Delaware Valley Raptor Center has about a 7 foot wing span and she is about 14 inches across the breast and weight about 14 Lbs. The one prior (Lost to west Nile) was a bit heaver (16 Lbs.) but not as wide in the breast and yes wings about 7 feet and again I remind you these are goldens not bald. I think your stretching it at 9 Feet but I am open for a photo with a ruler like on CSI. Please don’t take this the wrong way but I need to be shown that bird.
Lou
www.loubuscher.com

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back