• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should i upgrade ? (1 Viewer)

Hobbsy

I’m considering upgrading my lens, a Tamron SP 200-500mm f5.6 (Model 31A). I’m looking at the Tamron SP 200-500mm F5-6.3 Di or the Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX APO. Firstly is the auto focus that much better ? Reviews I’ve read say that at f6.3 the auto focus is slow or useless in all but direct sunlight. (My current lens is a consistent f5.6 throughout the range). Secondly are the optics any better ? Is it worth spending the £600 ?? Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.

I would rather go for the Sigma 50-500 from a very unscientific test I did. Here are some pics taken with the Bigma:
http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/gallery/3951659#45773123
http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/gallery/3079082#168005044

I must admit I've heard people complaining about autofocus problems under poor light, but I've not had too much of that. Only when the contrast is down or the *camera* can't find something to lock focus on (eg. looking at something in the canopy of a tree) does it sometimes hunt.

Thanks Alan,

I like the quality of my old Tamron lens but i've missed some good shots where i wasn't fast enough to focus. The Bigma seems to take a sharp picture but so does my Tamron. I'm thinking a split image focusing screen from Katz eye optics my be another option. Its a shame that there are not more options for us pentax users.

Screw drive vs HSM

I’m considering upgrading my lens, a Tamron SP 200-500mm f5.6 (Model 31A). I’m looking at the Tamron SP 200-500mm F5-6.3 Di or the Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX APO. Firstly is the auto focus that much better ? Reviews I’ve read say that at f6.3 the auto focus is slow or useless in all but direct sunlight. (My current lens is a consistent f5.6 throughout the range). Secondly are the optics any better ? Is it worth spending the £600 ?? Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.

Its my understanding that the Tamron 200-500 Di is a screw drive AF and is reported to be a lot slower than the Bigma's HSM. The "...Reviews I’ve read say that at f6.3 the auto focus is slow or useless in all but direct sunlight..." IMHO are bogus... I'd venture a guess they probably had a lot of haze/cloud cover and poor contrasting subjects to arrive at that opinion... Have you had this issue with your Tamron and its f/5.6?

IQ, they're comparable by most accounts with some reporting the Tamron is sharper and others the Bigma. To me, probably close enough to be accounted by individual copies and body differences.

In my Bigma experience, its more an issue of subject contrast in low light with its f/6.3. I've had little issues with AF at sunset unless the contrast is weak and then it'll do a little hunting.

Here's a 500-mm image at sunset and never had an AF hunting issues during this session...
Pelican-IF-3661_filteredMedium.jpg

Noting that you're possibly in the UK, there may a bit more low light AF issues due to cloud cover; haze etc that should be taken into account. But, for me, the Bigma's capabilities for its price point has few peers...

I had the Tamron 200-500, and would like to say that I never had any autofocus issues on my D80, even at the 500 f6.3 end. The focus speed is about the same as the Nikkor 300 f4 AFS lens and x1.4 converter combination that I'm using at the moment. I would say however, that this combination is noticably sharper than the Tamron, although I don't know how either compare with the Bigma.

One thing that I didn't like about the Tamron, is that it extends out quite far, and has a really long lens hood. I sold mine to Aperture photographic, and I think they're asking £420 for it.

I have a Sigma 500mm f4.5, but I'll be hanging on to my Tamron 200-500. Although is has got a long hood, it is very light and esy to use as a "walkabout" lens - unlike the Sigma! It is also pretty sharp even at 500mm and f6.3. And I also had no real problems with autofocus unless the light was really bad - but then you couldn't get fast enough shutter speeds anyway, so it wasn't an issue.

I like the Tamron 200-500 Di. I find it noticably sharper at 500 than my brother's Bigma. The Bigma does focus a little faster and quieter, but is a little soft to me at 500. My brother ends up trying to over-sharpen in post and gets too much halo effect around the bird's edges.

500 is the reason for buying one of these lenses. Of course there might be a difference in various samples.

Tamron 200-500 question...

I am considering purchasing this lens for use at airshows and for birds-in-flight but have read a few reviews indicating AF issues because of a lack of a focus limitor circuit. Have any of you who own this lens had any issues with this? I'll be using it with Canon DSLRs.

Chris

No real issues with having no limiter switch. In fact the limiter switch on my Sigma 500mm annoys me - especially when photographing at about 8 meters (as this is where the switchover is).

I have had 2 copies of the bigma (although I now use a sigma 500). I never had a problem with AF except under circumstances where any system would struggle, for example focussing on the wrong subject in thick undergrowth, or as others have said, in very low contrast and low light situations. I used these lenses on a 3 bodies over the years- 35mm canon 300, 35mm canon 1V and canon 1DsII. Even on the very dated 300, AF was fine, and as you would expect, very good on the 1DsII. like Rezmole, I find the focus limiter a bit of a pain on my 500 prime, and keep it on full range nearly all the time.
I cant comment on the tamron, never having used one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back