• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

attack from my own pc (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
When I try to change my info on my Yahoogroups 'profile' settings, I get a message saying page not available but at the same time my Norton Internet Security alert warns me of an 'intrusion'
The most recent reads:
Attempted Intrusion "HTTP_ActivePerl_Overflow" from your machine against edit.member.yahoo.com(216.136.xxx.7) was detected and blocked
Intruder: localhost(1201)
Risk Level: Medium
Protocol: TCP
Attacked IP: edit.member.yahoo.com(216.136.xxx.7)
Attacked Port: http(80)

On previous occasions I've had a different IP address for the 'attacker' and it's turned out to be my own IP address.
Can anyone tell me what's going on. I've got my 'level' of blocking set at the default level (medium).

A lot of such alerts are normal networky stuff. I turn all alert notifications off. If the firewall blocked it it doesn't matter, if the firewall didn't block it the alert wouldn't be triggered anyway. Personal firewalls don't provide you with real protection anyway.

Surreybirder said:
Thanks, Walwyn, but is NIS actually stopping me entering data on yahoogroups?

Haven't used NIS in a while but turning it off is the quick fix!

There is an option somehere to add a site to your 'trusted' list - the Birdforum server is probably checking your 'credentials'.

Ask Greenfields for help via PM; he's online now http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=3 .

Maybe your NIS is 'misreading' the situation........

Andy.

satrow said:
the Birdforum server is probably checking your 'credentials'.
Nothing to do with BF here, Andy - he's talking about Yahoo! Groups.

Having never personally used Y! Groups, I can't really tell exactly what the problem is, but as the originating ip is 'localhost' - which is the computers 'name' for your own computer - I'm going to guess that this is fine.

But, yes. Do check if you can add the site to your 'trusted' zone. Once again, I use ZoneAlarm, and have never used NIS, so you'll have to take a look around for yourself I'm afraid. :)

Ollie

You're best bet is to disable NIS whilst you login to yahoo groups. Or check with NIS about why the error is occurring. Yahoo can be a bit flakey at times too though.

Sorry Ollie,

My mistake.

Have checked Yahoo Groups profile settings and all seems ok for me (BlackIce and Panda); looks like it's NIS.

Andy (apologetically).

I guess there's no harm turning off NIS for a few minutes while I alter my 'profile' on Yahoo!groups?
It's only so I get messages on my new email address.
I'm sure most Birdforum members also belong to at least one yahoogroup? (I subscribe to about 10!) I might even start a thread on this one day... there are some very interesting groups out there!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back