• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida - late March early April (1 Viewer)

Larkrise

Hello all - I am going to Florida for the first time at the end of March for 10days and cannot wait. However I would like some advice on the following if at all possible -

1) Will there be enough to keep me occupied in the Space coast area for the entire 10 days or would you feel I should be exploring further afield? We would expect to be birding pretty much all of the time. I have the Florida Birding Trail for the area for guidance

2) Have read a number of very poor reports about accommodation in the Titusville area - anybody have any experience or suggestions?

Hoping you can help

Neil

East Central Florida

Welcome to Florida. Titusville doesn't have much in the way of accommodations, but New Smyrna Beach and Cocoa does. NSB is just north and Cocoa is just south. Also, Orlando is 39 miles west of Titusville and there's plenty of places there, as you might know.

If you wish to email me directly, I'd be happy to point out a number of very good opportunities available to birders in the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River Estuaries. I've lived here off and on for over 50 years. I can also put you in touch with local birders. My email is [email protected]. I'd also be happy to send you my phone number via email.

You might also wish to query the Florida Sportsman East Central forum. They're fishermen and women, but they're happy to help anyone visiting our area.
http://www.floridasportsman.com/

Moreover, if I'm back in town, I'd be happy to take you into the backwaters with my flats skiff. I'm planning a trip to England in March.

http://www.nps.gov/cana/
http://www.nps.gov/cana/naturescience/upload/Birds.pdf

The Marine Discovery Center in New Smyrna Beach has many educational trips into the backwaters. The one I went on last spring spent several hours closely observing Pelican roosting islands. When I say close, I mean 5-10 feet away and hundreds of pelicans.

http://www.marinediscoverycenter.org/

mosquitolagoon.jpg

Have Fun

At the risk of sounding like a personal advert, I do have a villa for rent in central Florida and have just clocked up 150 species in 7 days.

I also provide very detailed birding day itineraries (covering both coasts and also central locations), driving instructions, site guides and species accounts for birders staying in the villa. These itineraries would cover around 10 days, with three spent on the space coast. Plus, I can guarantee that the accommodation is a luxury villa and not a crappy motel.

(btw - Guidenet's offer is excellent - I'd take him up on it, if I were you.)

(btw 2 - to Guidenet : drop us a line re your March trip, if you plan to be anywhere near north Bucks).

Big thankyou to both Craig and John - great info, advice and help - I will be in touch.

Craig - what are your plans for England?

Thanks again

Neil

Trip

Craig - what are your plans for England?

I'm not quite certain yet. I'm bringing my 79 year old mother because it will probably be her last time. She was born in Geurnsey and wants to visit England one more time.

We'll probably be leaving Orlando on the 11th of March and flying British Air. We'll probably be heading back on the 21st or 22nd. We'll probably stay in London for a couple of nights then rent a car... maybe rent a house in Devon, I'm not sure. I want to visit the normal stuff light Stonehenge and then visit reletives in North Wales. I love England and just like driving around. Wish you folks would learn to drive on the proper side of the road, though. ;)

If I'm where any of you live, I'd love to meet you. Likewise when you're here, let me show you around. For example, yesterday I took off and visited Black Point wildlife drive. I've been advising people to do it and it got me excited since they just renovated it.

It was wonderful. I saw Black Skimmers racing over the water catching fish. I saw a Bald Eagle feeding its young. There were thousands of various ducks and egrets as well as cranes. What a good time.

What have they done in the renovation of Black Point Wildlife Drive? I will be there in 2 to 3 weeks. We are going down to see my Mother-in-Law in Ocala and I am planning a day trip to Merritt Island. Yes, I know it is a long trip, about a 3hr drive. I will have to get up early that morning.

They've resurfaced the drive, added nice bathrooms midway with parking. They've added a lot of new wood walkways and viewing towers. It just looks a lot better and is much easier to enjoy. I'm actually not sure when the renovation was finished as this trip was the first in many years.

Sounds good. I was there last February so this work is recent. Something to look forward to. After a 3hr drive the bathrooms will be a welcome sight.

I've stayed at the Best Western at Titusville and it's fine.
Black Point Drive and Shilo are great value, but have a look at the Egret Rookery at the St.Augustine. It's worth the drive to see egrets , herons and storks building nests and displaying.
The First Coast Birding and Fotofest is on in ST. Augustine from the 10 - 13 th April. I'm planning to be there both before and after.
http://www.getaway4florida.com/bird_festival_2007/index.php
Have a good trip, Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back