• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blinding owls! (1 Viewer)

Please don't laugh at this thread! :)

I'm hoping to do some birding in Eastern europe, and I'd like to get a decent torch for finding owls in case I'm not successful whilst it is still light.

Does anyone know what power torch is practical for this (250k candle power perhaps!?)

The last thing I'd want to do would be to blind an owl that's perched closer than I thought!

what a thought...

Many thanks in advance

Bri

Okay... I've stifled a giggle, I'll confess.

First of all, Bri, on behalf of all the Moderators and Admin Staff, I'd like to wish you a warm WELCOME to BirdForum.

Hopefully, you will find this a great site to help you out, although, you've thrown us a bit of a curve-ball with your first request!

I cannot claim to have any specific knowledge in this field, so you will have to wait for someone more experienced than me to help you out with the details.

However, if I may ask a general question or two, and perhaps make a suggestion.

Will you be going into the forests, or are you hoping to see the owls just around the roadside after dark.

If it's the former, then I would personally try to find a guide, and while you're at it, investigate the possiblilty of a torchlit owl search. Depending on how well birded the country you are going to is (which I would also be interested to know, by the way) this might not be an unusual request.

Of course, if you are hoping to catch something at the roadside, then you might have as much chance just finding somewhere where the view is passable, that looks promising, and waiting.

That's simply what I would do... whether there is any better policy... well hang around, someone will let you know soon, I'm sure.

Owl watching

Will you be going into the forests, or are you hoping to see the owls just around the roadside after dark.

If it's the former, then I would personally try to find a guide, and while you're at it, investigate the possiblilty of a torchlit owl search. Depending on how well birded the country you are going to is (which I would also be interested to know, by the way) this might not be an unusual request.

Of course, if you are hoping to catch something at the roadside, then you might have as much chance just finding somewhere where the view is passable, that looks promising, and waiting.

That's simply what I would do... whether there is any better policy... well hang around, someone will let you know soon, I'm sure.

Many thanks Birdman!
I know a couple of people who can give me site details. My main query was really just a very specific, practical one about torch power. Sorry, the destination just confused things - I suppose it would apply to owl watching anywhere, including the UK. I was wondering whether a 500 000 candle power torch might be too bright.

To answer your queries though, I'm on a budget but hoped to visit either Hungary, Slovakia or Slovenia.

Yes, I planned to bird in the forest as a last resort, but know from experience this can be very demoralising so I'll go well prepared with detailed information. I've done forest birding in Norway, Sweden and France before.

I'd love to let everyone know how I get on. I need to buy that torch first though...:)

Last edited:
Well, I've never been to Hungary or Slovakia, but Slovenia is a fantastic place. Not sure how it's fixed for owls though.

If you're on a budget... don't forget Stansted - Trieste and Stansted - Graz, which will get you all but into Slovenia.

If you do choose Slovenia, Bohinj area, pm me if you want some more details.

Mr. Biscuit, I don't know what 250,000 candle power equals, but it sounds mighty bright!

For what it's worth, when I've been on some owl prowls here in the US (and when we've called owls in at night while weekending at a cabin in the woods), we've used just 'normal' flashlights to see the owls -- the standard handheld flashlight that's run on 2-6 "D" batteries.

Provides plenty of clear bright light to see the owls by (we're usually looking at Barred Owls, by the way), but has never seemed to 'blind' them. If they don't like the light, they just fly off.

And when we've 'called the owls in' we've used taped calls (and please trust me, we've NEVER done this during breeding season, and in areas where we know the owls we're seeking are abundant). Seems you might have more luck trying to call them in to you, rather than just seeking them out. They are curious creatures, and it's a neat experience to hear them start to 'talk' to your taped calls. I've heard 3-5 Barred Owls get into one 'conversation' -- the one perched on a tree right outside the cabin, illuminated by our flashlights, and several more back in the woods, calling and calling.

Birdman - I think Slovenia is as good as anywhere for Ural and Pygmy owl, (and probably Tengmalm's owl in good years). Thanks for your kind offer of more information - I might take you up on it if I choose Slovenia.

Beverleybaynes - I know that a 500 000 candle power torch will produce a beam up to half a mile long! You can see I was only half-joking when I wondered whether this could cause permanent eye damage when shone in an owls face :)
Maybe I should just buy a decent standard flashlight as you've used.
I've always avoided tape luring before, for the reasons you've described - I might have to do a bit as a last resort though. You're right, owls are definitely a special group and you have some great species over there in America - please don't get me more interested though, or I might decide to blow all my savings on a trip across the Atlantic :0P

Last edited:
Well, Bri, you know where I am...

If you already know where is good for Owls in Slovenia, I'll let you tell me!

From the European Breeding Birds Atlas, Tengmalm's is a resident breeder in Slovenia

A 500 000 candle power torch? - are you taking Drax B power station with you?! ;)

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back