• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St. Mark's National Wildlife Refuge, Florida (1 Viewer)

Bill_G

Can't believe there's not already a thread for St. Mark's National Wildlife Refuge. It would be nice to have a running discussion of recent sightings from there. My wife and I were at Wakulla Springs (very near St. Mark's) a couple of weekends ago and saw manatees along with the usual range of bird species. Then at St. Mark's we spotted several species of duck along with wood storks, owls, hawks, and the usual sea and wading birds.

Any interest in St. Mark's NWR?

Bill

Bill, this is not recent, but it will give people who read this some idea of what birds they might see if they were to go to Wakulla Springs and St. Mark's NWR.

My wife and I were down in Florida birding in March of 1997. We got to see American Anhinga and Limpkin at Wakulla Springs. Boat-tailed Grackles all over St. Mark's. These three were "lifers" for us.

We saw many other birds, but I will have to check my records to let you know what they all were. We did bird other places in Florida, Corkscrew Swamp, Sanibel Island, Merritt Island, Everglades, etc. And we picked up several more "lifers" at these spots. It was a very memerable trip to that birdy state!

I just found a Florida check-list that I marked with the birds we saw at St.Mark's NWR in 1997.

Common Loon, Brown Pelican, Snowy Egret, Reddish Egret, Cattle Egret, Canada Goose, Northern Shoveler, Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Masked Duck, Turkey Vulture, Northern Harrier, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Wild Turkey, Killdeer, Willet, Short-billed Dowitcher, Laughing Gull, Bonaparte's Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Rock Pigeon, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Mourning Dove, Belted Kingfisher, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Acadian Flycatcher, American Crow, Fish Crow, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Hermit Thrush, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Loggerhead Shrike, European Starling, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Cardinal, Seaside Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Meadowlark, BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE, Common Grackle, House Sparrow and Brown-headed Cowbird.

Some additional birds seen at Wakulla: Pied-billed Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, Green Heron, White Ibis, Wood Duck, Green-winged Teal, Blue-winged Teal, American Wigeon, Black Vulture, Osprey, Bald Eagle, Common Moorhen, American Coot and White-breasted Nuthatch.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back