• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500mm for Canon and TCs (1 Viewer)

Tim Taylor

work in progress
There's a similar thread relating to Nikon - my question relates to Canon and I haven't seen it answered anywhere so far.

Has anyone tested AF performance on a 30D (or similar) with the Sigma 500mm EX HSM with Canon, Sigma and Kenko 1.4x TCs? I've heard from a couple of sources that they think the Sigma will perform best. Does anyone have experience of all 3 or 2 out of the three on the same lens in similar conditions?

By the way, I'm assuming the use of a reporting TC with the pins taped.

Thanks

Tim

PS I have to say that I can't really see any reason why they should perform differently but I was told in one camera shop that the Canon wouldn't work at all which is clearly nonsense.

Last edited:
They may well perform differently... I tried a Kenko and a Sigma on mine (with 350D/400D) and found that the Kenko focused noticeably faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back