• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I Hate Velcro (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with Velcro? It keeps appearing with increasing frequency on items of clothing and equipment which I buy and it drives me insane at times.

I have a jacket which is covered with the stuff. The simple act of blowing my nose involves peeling apart the flap on the pocket to extract a tissue, which then gets caught on the Velcro leaving little fibres attached. Any contact with anything woolly is very bad news indeed. As soon as I let go of the flap it instantly reseals itself, which necessitates repeating the process to replace the tissue.

Separating the two halves is a noisy experience, especially so in a quiet hide full of engrossed birders. I never know whether to go for the excruciatingly slow, gentle peel technique or the quick but noisy one rip approach, which is guaranteed to have heads snapping round disapprovingly. I'm not sure what the decibel count on the process is but it must be something similar to that produced by a crumbling glacier.

I suppose it has many good points but if I am in a bad mood it has been known to push me over the edge.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Ron

I had the same problem on my coat so I cut it all off, the cuffs and the full lenghth of the flap which covers the zip, with no damage to the coat wear it even more now and no more noise.

I had the same problem on my coat so I cut it all off, the cuffs and the full lenghth of the flap which covers the zip, with no damage to the coat wear it even more now and no more noise.

Same here, all my gear came with the awful stuff fitted,only to be replaced instantly with good old zips,you could hear me open a velcro pocket from 50 yards ~terrible!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back