• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Ring IPD lock (1 Viewer)

burdup

I just bought a pair of 8x42 HD's. The IPD lock seems finicky, sometimes locking and sometimes not. I let my birding partner look through them and when I went to put them back to my IPD they didn't want to lock up. After messing with them awhile they finally locked were I wanted them. Are the rest of you GR owners experiencing this same thing?

BTW I love everything else about them!

The IPD lock on my 10 x 32 Golden Rings is also finicky but would probably be of limited value even if it worked reliably. The bigger concern for me are the eyecups which are huge and horrible on the pre-HD models. I presume you are happy with yours, and wondered whether others also find the HD eyecups a noticeable improvement.

Last edited:
According to Leupold there is no difference mechanically/ergonomically between the HD and non, it is the same binocular, only the glass is different. I like the eyecups, they are similar, but slightly larger than the eyecups on my Swift Ultralites.

The IPD lock easily makes a full 1/4 turn and is very functional. After I posted earlier I was playing with the bin and have had no further problems locking it down. I know it works because my birding partner said she didn't like my bins because she could not adjust them to her IPD. That was before I unlocked them and told her to try again...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back