• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving to Mongolia - any advice? (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

After 9 fantastic years of living in El Salvador, my family and I are moving to Mongolia. Its going to be a big change for us all, but it should also be a great experience. I have already bought a few books and checked a few websites, but I would welcome any additional information that anyone has on birding (or living) in the country. I have been in contact with Alex Braunlich who has has an excellent website on birding in the country (http://birdsmongolia.blogspot.com/) and who is currently writing a field guide to Mongolian birds. Unfortunately, he is about to leave the country. We will be based in Ulaanbaatar.

Tom

Thanks for the advice. I have already found Hanno's trip reports, which are excellent and by far the best information that I have yet found about birding in the country. Jos, I'm way ahead of you with the thermal gear. We have already been buying warm winter clothing, even though our first winter is nearly a year away. Minus 50 centigrade is a real possibility in Mongolia, so I will definately be needing longer shorts and thicker T-shirts than the ones I use here in El Salvador.

Tom

There is a Dane who have traveled extensively in central Asia and may have some advice on Mongolia as well; take a look at http://www.sitecenter.dk/kirgistan/introaboutmiksture/. There is also a contact Email on the site.

Oh, and yes, enjoy the new surroundings! I cannot imagine moving to such a cold place anymore, living five years in the tropics have spoiled me, and it must be even worse for you ;)

Cheers
Niels

I can't help with the birding, but we were hosts to a group of Mongolians at work a few years ago - lovely people and I can recommend Mare's Milk - not the actual literal sort, but the Mongolian vodka they brought out at our final dinner.

Beautiful stuff. Don't even think of polluting it with cola.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back