• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Dot Sights. (1 Viewer)

MGT

I use the following:

Pentax K10D.
SMC Pentax-DA 1:2.8 40mm Pancake Lens.
SRB Griturn S49-52 & 52mm Step Rings.
SRB Griturn Digiscoping Threaded Sleeve.
SMC Pentax Zoom 8-24mm
Pentax PF-80EDA Scope.
Manfrotto 701RC2 Fluid Head & 055MFV Tripod

See photo's attached:

I'm new to digiscoping and possibly a relative exception with this set-up in the UK as far as SRB Griturn are concerened. This "Junkfisher" was recently taken approx 40-50yds away and is the first opportunity I've had to tinker with the aforementioned set-up.

It appears that my positive vibes are not unfounded and despite good hand to eye co-ordination I'd benefit from a Red Dot Sight.

What Dot Sights are fellow digiscopers using on your 80/65mm scopes? I'm interested in the following:

Pentax Gameskeeper HS10 Red Dot Sight Matte
Pentax Gameskeeper RD10 Red Dot Sight Matte

Any advice and/or views on the aforementioned and how does one attach a Dot Sight to ones scope?

Attachments

• DigiSetUp.jpg
    DigiSetUp.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Junkfisher.jpg
    Junkfisher.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 300
  • Moon.jpg
    Moon.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 226
I know nothing about red-dot sights, but have you considered one of these?

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/erol2eu/erol.html

Follow the links for 'Products & ordering', then 'Digiscoping products' and look for 'Image locating sight for spotting scopes'.

I received one recently for free with a used DCA adapter for my Swarovski. Once set up it works well and is relatively inexpensive. I think it would need re-aligning each time you go out, but that takes only seconds.

Just another option to consider

Steve

ps. you should also search for the 'cable tie sight' thread on this forum, which gives very good instructions for making your own sight from a plastic cable tie

Last edited:
I use a Simmons 42mm red dot on my scope (Tele Vue 85),, has variable settings for the birghtness and a very wide field of view,, once aligned it is quick to point the scope on anything,,

I bought a Vixen Geoma ED ,used ,and the original owner had mounted a red dot finder on it....About how to mount one of these thing onto your scope?..This person drilled a small hole on the scope body,on a hollow area,perhaps designed for such use,and screwed the finder to the body,...i was not too happy about this,and dont recommend to anyone to drill their scope's body..but since it was done when i got the scope,nothing i could do about it...about the finder..IT IS GREAT!!.it makes for such a different experience.I go into wooded areas ,and i am able to set my scope if i cross my path with a flock,and actually see the birds...I moved to the West coast,a couple years back,and although i have been looking for birds on and off,pretty regularly in this particulars wooded patch,It is now that i use this finder that i have been able to see and identify Hutton's Vireo,

I used one with a Canon A95 Camera attached to a Swarovski ATS80HD 'scope until I sold the outfit to another Birdforum member in 2006.
See :- http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=59101
I found it was quite useful, with a large and bright image that I found easy to sight subjects, but the person I sold it to could not manage to use it easily. I bought the Red-Dot Sight from J S Ramsbottom and it is still available, as shown here :-
http://www.jsramsbottom.com/cgi-bin/jsr.cgi/dynamiclink?a=1&b=0&z=0&aP=0&source=/RED/Reddot_all.HTM
You will need a suitable bracket to fit it to your scope - I had my Camera Adaptor machined for me, then made the sight-fixing arm to suit the required position.

Roger

ps With the benefit of hindsight, I often wished I still had my 'scope, because there are some super Cameras available now that are very good for digiscoping. I am also very happy with my Canon 350D with a Sigma 50-500 Zoom.

Roger do you know I still cant get the hang of that Red dot site.

POP

One thing that must be remembered here, which I discovered to late is, if you are in any form colour blind, they do not work. I find a small alighnment scope to work fine. Ernie

Just a thought against red dot type sights, and for the 'cable-tie' system ,- how about raptors or other birds up in the sky?
Without wishing to appear facetious, surely there is no real difference in the use of either method. The line-of-sight required to use each method is the same (i.e. parallel to the 'scope main body), even if the required angle of the set-up is acute, but it all depends upon the position of either sighting device relative to the eye-piece and/or 'scope body.
If the red-dot sight is as shown in the picture below, then the tripod will need to be set quite high to enable an acute angle to be used (unless you are the height of Bill Oddie).

Roger

Attachments

• DSCF0344a.jpg
    DSCF0344a.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 328
oh, i'm laughing at myself now that i realize that "Red Dot sight" isn't the same thing as a laser pointer that shoots a red beam out at the target is it?
whew. : )

Without wishing to appear facetious, surely there is no real difference in the use of either method. The line-of-sight required to use each method is the same (i.e. parallel to the 'scope main body), even if the required angle of the set-up is acute, but it all depends upon the position of either sighting device relative to the eye-piece and/or 'scope body.
If the red-dot sight is as shown in the picture below, then the tripod will need to be set quite high to enable an acute angle to be used (unless you are the height of Bill Oddie).

Roger

well done roger i like your idea and did u fabricate the holder for the sighter ?

and your cable release looked longer than mine, where did u get it from ?

Roger

MGT,

Have you seen the following thread?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=55586

Sout Fork has mounted a RDS to his PF-80EDA and the tripod does not need to be set quite high like the configuration Roger has shared. Once I get the parts, I'll be doing this with my PF-80EDA.

Rich

well done roger i like your idea and did u fabricate the holder for the sighter ?

and your cable release looked longer than mine, where did u get it from ?
Sorry for not responding earlier! (reply posting notification has not happened lately)
Yes, I did fabricate the holder myself - it was quite tricky to maintain the required accuracy of alignment.
I bought the shutter-release cable bracket from Pennine (Rochdale, UK), but looking at their website, they do not sell this type any more. The current one is as shown here :- http://www.pennineonline.com/acatalog/DigiScoping.html

Roger

MGT,

Have you seen the following thread?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=55586

Sout Fork has mounted a RDS to his PF-80EDA and the tripod does not need to be set quite high like the configuration Roger has shared. Once I get the parts, I'll be doing this with my PF-80EDA.

Rich
Yes Rich, that's a good position for a RDS, as it would give a better balance of parts than my configuration did.

Roger

No, I can't emulate an Ostrich, however, Rod Hull did attempt to emulate an Emu!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the support shown on this thread, particularly the recent attention brought forth by rogerscloth.

From little acorns, big oak trees grow.

Miles

No, I can't emulate an Ostrich, however, Rod Hull did attempt to emulate an Emu!
I just wanted to say thanks for all the support shown on this thread, particularly the recent attention brought forth by rogerscloth.
From little acorns, big oak trees grow.
Miles
Thanks for the new spelling of my userID Miles - I laughed so much, the tears ran down my legs!

Roger

Regarding the Red Dot sight, is there any compensation for parallax when the device is mounted on the hot shoe of a P&S camera? I've seen some impressive photos of birds in flight photographed with a camera using the Red Dot. How does it work?

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back