• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood pigeons (1 Viewer)

helenol

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the woodpigeons feeding in their gardens. I usually have one or two. Today there were 5 of them. These birds are huge!

We often get 4 or 5. They usually stay under the feeders and clear up the seed the messy greenfinches chuck everywhere!

AndyC

We only get one in our garden, but in the surrounding fields there are 100's....much to the farmers' dismay. :-C

Billy Boy

Hi Helen,

Funnily enough, I seem to be having the opposite situation....

I had been getting more and more of these pesky critters and, by about 6 months ago, my 'regulars' had grown to a pack of 5-6.

This was a major pain.... mopping up all the food as soon as it was put out, flapping about and scaring everything else and cr*pping everywhere!!

Have to confess that I wasn't quite as diligent as I perhaps should have been with feeding over the summer, but since the autumn, I only have 1 or 2 WPs come into the garden, and then not all day, every day (which was the previous situation)

Don't know why this should be, as there is plenty of easy scoff for them, but I can't say that I'm upset.....

Rgds... Ruby

I had an increase in the summer due to repositioning my birdfeeders. Instead of one or two I ended up with a maximum of 7. They just about filled my postage stamp of a garden. What's more, while at first they were the usual timid things, taking flight at the slightest movement behind a window, they became almost as tame as Feral Pigeons. On one occasion my wife and I walked up to within 5 ft of one particularly insolent bird which was sitting in our apple tree. We eyeballed each other for several minutes. Since then numbers have decreased to two, but the wretched things are now gobbling my pyracantha berries. Good thing I'm not expecting any Waxwings.

Jason

I quite like them, the way them bumble around. But then again I'm not a farmer, and I'm lucky enough to have a large garden.

"I don't think I have ever had more than two together" You lucky person! they are nice in moderation...but when theres 10 of them hoovering the seed up.......!

Hi Helen,
Agreed, only one regular 'Fat Man' (as opposed to the 'Little Fellers [Sparrows]) so far this winter. I'd normally have 4 or 5 picking up the sunflower seeds and peanuts.
I think if we see a long cold spell you won't be able to walk in the garden without tripping over them; once the Winter Wheat etc is under snow.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back