• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HDF vs SDL? (1 Viewer)

ColonelBlimp

What time is bird?
Sorry if this has been asked before but will I notice any improvement on a HR80 scope with an SDL eyepiece over a HDF one? It seems sellers say it is better but I haven't really found anyone on here raving about it instead of the HDF.

If it is better I would like to know whether it justifies the extra £££s, especially as I don't wear glasses.

SDL will not need refocussing when using zoom, you may find that the HDF will need a tweek for fine focussing. Opticron are currently offering a £20 Cashback with any SDL eyepiece bought Go to Opticron website and download a claim form for the cash back

SDL will not need refocussing when using zoom, you may find that the HDF will need a tweek for fine focussing. Opticron are currently offering a £20 Cashback with any SDL eyepiece bought Go to Opticron website and download a claim form for the cash back

HDF does need refocussing when zooming, also, for me at least, I have to adjust the eye cups as well, I don't find either a real problem.

I have read reports that some users felt that the eyecups on the SDL zoom (which are longer) were a little unsteady.

Perry

HDF does need refocussing when zooming, also, for me at least, I have to adjust the eye cups as well, I don't find either a real problem.

I have read reports that some users felt that the eyecups on the SDL zoom (which are longer) were a little unsteady.

Perry

The eyecup on some of the earlier models had a two-point fixing but you'll find that the later models are much more stable with a three-point fixing.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back