• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pau/Pyrenees? (1 Viewer)

rafiki

Brian Davies
We are attending a reunion in southern France in late July and it seems a shame to travel there without visiting the Pyrenees. We are thinking of flying in to Pau Friday morning, driving into the mountains straight away for some birding, staying overnight then scooting down to the reunion Sat pm/Sun am then back to the mountains Sunday evening for more birding Monday and flight out of Pau Tuesday am. The reunion is at Labrihe which is 20 miles NE of Auch.

Recommendations for a good birding area not too far from Pau please and, if possible, recommendations for a place to stay. Simple accommodation is fine.

I'm pretty sure I've stayed in a formule une (cheapest motel chain) in Pau c. 25 euros for the room per night.

We visited the 'Cirque de Gavarnie' in the winter, not much luck and we weren't really birding, but it is one the places to visit to see the high mountain species, lammergeier, alpine choughs etc. My 'Where to watch birds in France' (Philippe J Dubois, Helm publishing) also has 'Foret de la Cardeillhac' and 'Lac de Puydarrieux' as sites out of the Pyrenees and nearby. 'Neouvielle' is another high pyrenees site.

There was lots of accomodation in Gavarnie, but we didn't check out the prices, just wished we had as it would have saved a bit of a drive to get to the mountains.

Hopefully googling some of the above may be a start, maybe some trip reports on the relevant sites may help more.

Cheers, dan

Be sure to be in Gavarnie early, because it gets overrun with tourists from 10:30 h or so (most French tourists are luckily very lazy). Lammergeier, Citril, the choughs, Griffon, Peregrine, Chamois and Wallcreeper all possible in the "Cirque" above the tree line. White-backed Woodpecker is rumoured to occur in the forest.
If you really have time I'd pick another valley to go and bird at ease... without all those crowds (Lac d'Estaing has Lammergeier too).
The Pibeste (just beyond Lourdes on the road to Gavarnie) has Egyptian and Griffon Vultures (easily seen from the road), and Middle Spotted Woodpecker occurs on its flanks.
Short-toed Eagle is widespread.

Thank you very much. Is there a village near those other areas you mention that has accommodation you can recommend please?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back