• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digital camera from Argos (1 Viewer)

PJ

I have been reading some of this thread, and now feel I have been waisting my time. I wanted to start with a cheap camera and then move up to some canon XYZ if I liked the pics, but I have not had much luck so far and was thinking it was the fact I have now spent time working it all out, but a Polaroid 3.2 pixel £ 99 from Arogs is just not up to it............

Hi P.J.,

I'm not sure which thread you were reading as I suspect you may have hit the 'new thread' button instead of the 'post reply' button.

If it's a general / birding camera you're after then IMHO you need to be looking at a 10x optical zoom. One of the best looking easy to use cameras around seems to be the Minolta Dimage Z1 - but it comes in around the £300 mark.

There are plenty for 3 mp cameras now around the £100 mark, but it really depends on what you want it for.

P.J said:
I have been reading some of this thread, and now feel I have been waisting my time. I wanted to start with a cheap camera and then move up to some canon XYZ if I liked the pics, but I have not had much luck so far and was thinking it was the fact I have now spent time working it all out, but a Polaroid 3.2 pixel £ 99 from Arogs is just not up to it............

The new Fuji cameras are brilliant value, too - have you looked at those? 3mp is absolutely fine but an optical zoom is vital (definitely not just a digital zoom - that's a bit of a con, really).

Another cheap but good one is!

Scampo has hit on one good camera, but if you are a real novice, I would recommend the Hewlett Packard 735, as it is easy to use, has 3X optical zoom, is less than £200, and has a really easy editing suite to go with it! I would call it idiot proof! 'Cos if I can use it successfully then It has to be a doddle!, I have found Digital zoom a waste of space too! But this camera has both, but I never use the digtal partof the zoom lens!:gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back