• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos, early spring weather update (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
Hi y'all

For those going out to Lesvos this spring, there is some great news. After last years awafully dry winter, they've had a very normal wet winter out there this year and surface water levels are good. If the weather stays to norm then rainfall will continue over the next few weeks keeping this surface water topped up and for those of us on the island for the main weeks (I'm there for three weeks from 17 April) the Skala Kallonis Pool and hopefully seasonally pools at the south end of the Kalloni Saltpans and nearby sheepfields will be looking good.

Also, belated news from December, a Cattle Egret nr Sigri on 26/12/07.

More on both the above on www.lesvosbirding.com.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve
Thanks for the info. I was just starting to wonder how the weather was going on
I found this site which other users may find helpful if keeping an eye on the weather.

http://www.windfinder.de/forecast/lesbos

Getting to the point where the hol is coming up on us quickly now. Not that I am counting.......4.6 weeks!

Hope the weather is good for you when there in April. Thanks again.

Hi Stephen,
Yes, there was an area within the Saltpans that held lots of water which attracted, to name a few, Red-necked phalarope, Great Snipe, Glossy Ibis, Garganey, Wood Sandpiper, Egrets and Storks etc.
It looked more like a painting, not the REAL thing.
Further down the Saltpans the sheep fields were wet, which attracted more waders, and generally made the area more fresh. Enjoy!!!

I certainly second that. Spring 2006 saw many seasonal pools holding water into May which was a real bonus for passage waders and marsh terns in particular - great spring. I remember the Great Snipe fondly.

First migrant news from Lesvos on www.lesvosbirding.com from Eleni Galinou who has been on the island since 20 March and who I hope will be able to provide me more news before I go out on 17 April.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back