• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to see green woodpeckers in cheshire UK (1 Viewer)

Moz-Junior

Young birder, not a full-time twitcher :))
Hello,

I have been birding for 6 months now, and I would love to see a Green Woodpecker.

Does anybody know where to find one (guaranteed) near Northwich, Cheshire, UK?

Thanks. :t:

moz

hi, im not from cheshire but i have been hearing many green woodies calling recently, and seen a couple aswell. there has been an explosion of them this year, and they're everywhere. learn the call, and you'll start hearing them a lot. get looking for them ASAP because march and april are by far the best months for woodpeckers.

Not sure about Cheshire specifically, but Green Woodpeckers feed on the ground, so like areas of turf or rough pasture. Places like golf courses, parks, paddocks etc are likely spots - particularly if there are trees around that they can fly up into if alarmed.

As has been said, learn the laughing call and you can't go wrong....the old country name for these birds is 'Yaffles' which gives you a pretty good idea of what they sound like.

Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for that.

So the call is the give-away.

Cheshire birders - give me the best green woody site........... please.

moz

Marbury Country Park (Budworth Mere) in the horse paddocks as you do the circular walk. Listen out for the yaffling call. :t:

Good Luck

Phill.

Hi Moz,
As Sylvia says: Marbury is fairly reliable.
They can be elusive for such a big bird.
I also see them at Dunham Park, a little further from you.
H

Hi, :hi:

We went to Peckforton today in the hope of seeing Green Woody, but unfortunately we didn't see it. :-C But we actually saw a Raven, a brambling, and tooooo many buzzards, and something that looked like a hen harrier. Do hen harriers fly over tall conifers??? The bird had a brown speckled back and a white rump, with a long tail. It was smaller than a buzzard, but bigger than a female sparrowhawk. Do you have any idea what it could have been??

We then went to see Meditteranean Gulls 8-P which is a new tick for me o:) We saw two together looking like they might breed this year, and one seperately. :t:

Tomorrow we are going to Moore NR to try to see the Kumlins gull :eek!: We have not seen it yet, but we have a good feeling about the reserve.

Moz. (Ian + Dad) :t::t:

All 3 Woodpeckers can be seen at Moore also Tatton Pk and Marbury CP. Might also be worth trying some of what's left of the lowland heathland in Cheshire see the Cheshire Wildlife Trust website. I believe there's also a few woodlands on the Wirral that hold Green Woodpecker I think the most reliable is Thurstaston Common/Royden Park.

Hello,

Thankyou for your ideas. :)

I have tried Thurstaston, but I didn't see one. :( It might have been a bit too busy when I went, so I'll try again, but earlier in the morning.

Me and my Dad have always thought Moore is a brilliant place for them, but we've never had any luck. :(( But we have seen greater and lesser spotted there. :))

A lot of people have mentioned Marbury so I will have to go there sometime.
If I go to Marbury very early in the morning am I almost guarteed to see one??

Moz (Ian + Dad) :) (-:

Green Woodpecker is pretty widespread in Cheshire. As many people have already said, Marbury is the most reliable place close to you.

For a relatively large bird they can be remarkably difficult to see.

If visiting Marbury arrive early before the dogwalkers get there and head south out of the car park. They can usually be found in either the woodland or fields to the left of Marbury Lane. On the right there's a steep drop down to a stream. Just before arriving at the canal bridge there's a black cast iron pipe that crosses the ditch. This is an extremely reliable location for Lesser Spots. If still no luck with the green peckers try the fields on the right just after the bridge.

In general the green peckers are easier to see at Tatton. Anywhere within the vicinity of the old hall is reliable. Normally if you don't hear them you'll see them flying up from the rough grassland into the mature trees as a dog/deer/radio controlled plane goes past!

They are quite common where I live but the most reliable place to see them is the local cemetery, very rare to go there and not see or hear one.

Mick

I've Now Seen A Green Woodpecker !!!!!!

Hello, :hi:

Everyone stop what you're doing, I have now seen a Green Woodpecker. :t:

I saw it by the side of the path between Neumanns and Ashtons Flashes in Northwich. It came about 8 metres away from me and my dad, and we watched it for around 10 minutes. We saw it at 11:00am, then another very quick glance at about 2:00pm.

Thankyou to everyone who has given me ideas of where to see one, and what to listen out for.

I also saw a Long Eared Owl sitting in bushes 3 metres away from the path next to Neumanns Flash, which stayed there for about 20 minutes, then flew.
We managed to get some OK photos of it, which I'm hoping to upload onto this site, if i can work out how to do it. :-O

Moz (Ian) :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back