• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro case (1 Viewer)

Kestrel21

I have just bought a new swaro ATS 80HD and I need to get a case for it. I ve read several posts on this forum and i know that some swaro owners prefer the so called LCE case. Is this case still found on the market? cannot find it on the LCE site and a search on the net only yields the original swaro optik case that in my opinion is a bit over priced for a case!
Any suggestions?

thanks

I've been happy with the case made by Creedmoor Sports in the U.S. Don't know if they ship to Malta, though. If you do end up ordering from them, better request that they don't put you on their mailing list. They're a hunting supplier, and their catalogues are pretty hair-raising.

I just bought the swaro 80HD as I could not resist the deals going around at the moment.

The swaro case was part of the deal and I have to say I think it looks pretty good. Ok it may not look quite as good as it does without the case but I have to say I like it.

A question though - when you are using a stay on case do you still need to use the lens covers or is the case intended to replace those?

Nothing should touch the lenses, even the inside of the case.

The Swarovski Stay-On Case is a pre-formed cordura-type material that certainly could serve the function of the objective cover. Since the objective lens is recessed from the front of the scope body / sunshade, there should be almost no chance that the front cover of the Stay-On Case can contact the glass, unless you do something unexplainable like scrunch it up and stuff it into the opening.

Clay Taylor

Yes the case would function in place of the lens caps. If you want a really great case for the ATS 80 Swarovski scope then I can attest that the Nikon Vue-thru Case works great. It actually has more coverage than the Swaro case and the best part is that is only costs about 50 U.S. Dollars. It fits a little tight around the eye-piece on my zoom eye-piece and I have to store it with eye-cup screwed down to get it to fit all the way down. Not a problem since I wear glasses. Anyways its a great case. It says Nikon on it but I used black tape to tape over that so that people would stop asking me which Nikon scope I had, haha.

the swaro case is well made and a good fit. It can catch on the focus wheel slightly and make a soft clicking sound. the swaro instructions advise you to remove both the lens caps. The only other thing to watch out for is that you cannot use the DCB adapter whilst the case is on. I have stopped using mine for this reason but was happy with it up until then

Regards

Mark

The DCB works with the Nikon case. YOu can also still use the supplied lens caps with both cases if you want extra double protection for some reason.

I've tried the Cabela's and the Swarovski case, and find they both hug the focus ring way too much.

I currently use the Creedmoor case, but I'm not entirely happy with it. The tripod mount zippered opening is not separate from the zippered opening to access the eyepiece, so the space between the tripod and the eyepiece is fully exposed when using the scope.

I haven't found a case that really works well with the ATS-80. I think this is mostly due to the design of the focus ring. It's a lot easier to use than the little knob you get on other scopes, except it makes using a stay-on case a little difficult.

I’ve discovered that using the Op-Tech Large Angled Scope Pouch in tandem with the Snug-Rug Angled Scope Case provides the greatest degree of protection and flexibility for transporting and using any spotting scope. While the materials used in manufacturing the Swarovski case are high quality, I concur with those who have found that the case’s construction unnecessarily impedes rapid access to the helical focus ring found on the Swarovski ATS or STS series 80mm spotting scopes, and in all likelihood the brand-spanking new ATM and STM series, as well.

I’ve also found that wrapping the Op-Tech case around the scope and then placing it inside the Snug-Rug case provides the optimal level of protection when the instrument is being transported inside a vehicle pitching and rolling over rough terrain. The Op-Tech case is very quickly removed and replaced in the field. I would recommend running both ends of the nylon attachment cord supplied with the Op-Tech case through the fastening hole of a spring-tensioned nylon cord lock and anchoring it at the base of the quick release plate where it joins the tripod head assembly. This will ensure that the case isn’t lost in a high wind.

I’ve included “e-tailer” web links to these items below:

http://www.gohornhunter.com/Product...md/CatalogItemDetails/psmid/1980/Default.aspx

http://www.justoptech.com/details_products.aspx?id=030508165604978

http://www.strapworks.com/Cord_Locks_p/pcl-elipse.htm

Chris Ellison

Last edited:
Yes the case would function in place of the lens caps. If you want a really great case for the ATS 80 Swarovski scope then I can attest that the Nikon Vue-thru Case works great. It actually has more coverage than the Swaro case and the best part is that is only costs about 50 U.S. Dollars. It fits a little tight around the eye-piece on my zoom eye-piece and I have to store it with eye-cup screwed down to get it to fit all the way down. Not a problem since I wear glasses. Anyways its a great case. It says Nikon on it but I used black tape to tape over that so that people would stop asking me which Nikon scope I had, haha.

bwarner: The Nikon Vue-Thru Case looks like it would work with the Swaro ATS 80--you can still use the rubber eyepiece cover supplied by Swaro and still fit the Nikon case over it? Does the Nikon cover interfere with the helical focus of the Swaro in any way on focusing, and is there any problem with fitting over the Swaro tripod mounting foot? Thanks!

I have the Cabela's neoprene case and it works okay. I had to modify it by enlarging the bottom opening to get better access to the focus wheel, and I cut a slit for the DCB. The Cabela's eyepiece lens-cap fits pretty snug over the Swaro eyepiece cap, entrapping it so they both come off at the same time. The cover says Cabela's, so nobody can tell it's a Swarovski--which may be good or bad depending on your perspective. The price was right and I like the feel of it better than the Swaro case, but it's probably not as protective.

Karmantra,
Both the objective and rubber tethered covers fit fine inside the case and I often leave them on (I'm overprotective of my baby). The foot is a tight fit when getting the case on, but it is fine and doesn't interfere with either the Bogen video head or the swarovski heads when directly mounting to the quick release (i.e. without a screw on plate). The case does interfere with the tripod ring tilt function, but most cases do. The focus wheel is a tiny bit harder to get to when the case is on, but again thats the situation with any case, and I find that once you get used to slipping under the magnetic flap with your hand, you really don't notice. It doesn't drag on the wheel as much as the Swarovski brand stay on case. Hope that helps, sorry for the late reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back