• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Islands (1 Viewer)

Hi Folks,

It's been a long while since I posted anything in the forums but I am off to Northumberland on the 26th April for a week. Of course I want to make my first trip to the Farne Islands while there so I was wondering about tips for making the best of them. Sorry if you have to repeat yourself from previous posts but here are my main questions:-

1. I know there are a number of boat options but is Billy Shiel's the best value for money?

2. I want to land on at least one island but will it be worth doing both at this time of year?

3. I am staying in Beadnell and fancy at least one early dawn walk (my good lady will turn over and leave me to it). Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

How fantastic! Cant help with your question but the Farne Islands is on my list for this year to photograph the Puffins. I would appreciate recommendation if you find somewhere nice to stay. Have a great time!

Hope you enjoy it.
We are also planning it (1st ever visit). We are able to be a bit more flexible so will book 'last minute' to be sure of the weather and probably go for late May.
I look forward to your report and (like Markbirder) any advice for accomodation.

Farnes landings

April is early in the season but others may advise on when the birds are back on territory.

Trips to Inner Farne island only last 2.5 hours and include tours of the rocks, seal views + an hour on the island (which has a landing fee payable to the National Trust of £4.20 each - they don't tell you that up front!). Still worth the visit though.

I think you can also do a 5.5 hour trip to Staple Island then Inner farne but this only starts in May.

Try Googling Farne Island Boat Trips and I'm sure you get loads of info.
I'm sure the boats are all priced pretty closely to eachother. Just make sure you get to the dock an hour or so before the published times and you'll be OK.

April will be quiet I should imagine and not like the scramble in the months when the kids are off school

Happy seabirding!

PS wear a cap or a hat. The terns draw blood all the time!

Not much to add re the Farnes. You hardly need bins, never mind a scope, but you do need a hat. Late April may be a bit early but, from Beadnell, it's well worth walking south down the beach towards High Newton. There's a mainland tern colony there, fenced off on the beach, just south of a small estuary crossed by a footbridge, that includes a few little tern among the comics, overseen by a warden's hut in the dunes from which you can watch the colony at close range. Further on at Low Newton there's a small nature reserve behind the village beyond the dinghy park, with a hide overlooking a small lake (and an excellent food and ale pub in the corner of the square). Further south again there's a kittiwake colony on the cliff beneath Dunstanburgh castle (and then a further short walk into Craster for smokery and another excellent pub!). We're off to stay in Low Newton in June - can't wait.

Landing fee is £5.40/adult, £2.70/child until 1st August when it decreases slightly to £4.40/adult, £2.20/child. April is a little bit early to visit the islands but there should be a few birds.

cheers
martin

Trips to Inner Farne island only last 2.5 hours and include tours of the rocks, seal views + an hour on the island (which has a landing fee payable to the National Trust of £4.20 each - they don't tell you that up front!). Still worth the visit though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back