• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corsica in May (1 Viewer)

Wildflower

We are in a process of planning our two weeks in May in Corsica.
There must be great places for birding with all mountains, wildflowers and water. We will have a rental car. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also can anyone recommend a bird guide (book) and a bird guide (person) for Corsica? Thanks

Sorry, never been. But the main endemics to look for, Corsican Nuthatch (Sitta whieheadi) and Corsican Citril Finch (Serinus corsicanus), are both birds of the Corsican Pine (Pinus nigra var. corsicana) forests in the mountains, the more mature and less 'managed' the better with scattered dead trees, open patches, etc.

Tartagine Forest and Monte Cinto in the northwest (inland from Calvi) are reported to be the best areas, with 1000-1500m the optimum altitude for the nuthatch, and 1500-1650m for the finch often in more open woods with tree-heath (Erica arborea).

Michael

Hi, Wildflower

Not been myself either, but there are a few trip reports available which should give you an idea. Go to:

http://www.eurobirding.com

select the "trip reports" page, then select "Europe" from the options at the bottom of the page and do a search for "France".

Jason

Thank you Michael and Jason for great tips.

Michael, I'll be looking for all endemic species you mentioned.

As you suggested, Jason, I am checking out some some trip reports from Corsica on eurobirding.com and learning about all places that I should include in our itinerary.

Do you know about the best birding book for Europe that would also include Corsica's birds?
Thanks again

Hi Wildflower

Have you got the BOU Checklist of Birds of Corsica ? It was published a few years ago now but has loads of background info as well as (fairly) up to date status comments.

And I would add that Marmora's Warbler on Corsica is now regarded by many as a separate species to that on the Balearics.

Hopefully you will report back on your trip??

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back