• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leopold Yosemite's (1 Viewer)

ScoutMan

There has been some discussion on another thread about quality control issues with the Yosemites, primarily colimation issues.

I haven't heard a lot of discussion on that issue on this site. Have members of this site had any quality control issues on the Yosemite's ?

I must be one of the lucky ones. I purchased mine in 5/2007 and they are working out just fine.

I've only had mine about a month but they are fine so far. By the feel of weight and balance they have a certain toughness to them. That means nothing as for how they really are built inside, but they feel solid for so light a binocular.

There has been some discussion on another thread about quality control issues with the Yosemites, primarily colimation issues.

I haven't heard a lot of discussion on that issue on this site. Have members of this site had any quality control issues on the Yosemite's ?

I must be one of the lucky ones. I purchased mine in 5/2007 and they are working out just fine.

I bought 8 of the 6x30 model about a year ago in three batches, and they had no obvious problems of that sort. There is some variation in closest focus, and some seem to have the view "snap" more that others. Basically, there were two "cherries" among them, but no real "lemon". But, overall, all of them were very much worth their cost. They have got a lot of very favorable comments from the people who use them at the school where I taught at the time.

Last edited:
Got one as soon as it came out. No problems whatsoever. My brother borrowed them and still has them. Excellent binocular!

Bob

Just got a pair of 6X30 and they're great!

Hi there,

I bought the 6X30 red model for my 9 year old son. I am very impressed with these binoculars. They are incredible for this price range (79 + $5 shipping from B&H :t:).The view is crisp over almost all the field of view. My only concern was the lack of close focusing but I got lucky because my copy can focus at approx. 9ft which is obviously a lot better than the 16.4' listed on the specs. I never imagined that the view at 6X would have such a nice "pop" and 3D feeling.

Cheers

- Emilio DelToro
NJ, USA

Congrats Emilio to your purchase!

I purchased the same glass, but in black, in september last year. I really love it. Though I recently purchased the Swarovski SLCnew 7x42 I don't want to loose the Yosemite. As you likely discovered they are not only great for children but also for adults!

I have tried many binoculars during the years and dare to state that the Yosemite 6x30 is the best ever produced binocular in it's size and price range.

Regards, Patric

Were yours actually Red? I exchanged an 8x30 that was Flaming Salmon Pink. They are very good binoculars. I have both 6x and 8x.

I just bought the 8x.
I got it new, unpacked, unopened for unbelievable price of 58$. First I was afraid because the package was not the standard box, so before bidding I contacted Leupold and they immediatelly informed me that they have ''2 styles of packaging for that product. It is a legitimate product.'' Leupold customer service is great.
http://img220.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=70873_yosemite_122_493lo.jpg

It came with the soft case and all accesories. It is nitrogen filled too, lightweight and very nice to hold.
I am from Europe and paid 28$ for shipping (USPS Priority). Then I paid 2,2 EUR (DUTY) , 11EUR (VAT), 4EUR (local customs mail costs).

The final price for my LEUPOLD YOSEMITE 8x30 was 70 EUR (55 GBP). Unbelievable. This binocular is excellent. I am extremly happy with it.

Last edited:

I bought 8x30's and sent them back to Eagle, as they "gave me a headache." I didn't test them for collimation, but something was definitely wrong. I thought I could attribute the problem of (as I recall) not being able to very well bring the two images together without strain) to the wide spaced objectives of the porro design, but my Audubon 804R's don't give me any trouble at all. (If they did, I'd whap 'em upside the head.)

Were yours actually Red? I exchanged an 8x30 that was Flaming Salmon Pink. They are very good binoculars. I have both 6x and 8x.
Flaming Salmon Pink? Ouch! That doesn't sound very attractive for binoculars. No, the ones I got were kind of a brick red. Very nice, and the unexpected close-focusing was the icing on the cake.

Regards

Flare

Most everyone seems to be pleased with these binos, and I'm certainly interested.
However, I saw one review that makes it sound like they have problems with stray light or ghosting (I'm not sure from the review which one, or exactly what the difference is). I know that that's something that bothers me a lot, which makes me wary of running out to get them.
Has anyone tried these much in the late afternoon? Near bright lights? How do they work? Is there any way to cut some of the stray light without increasing weight and bulk?

Hi tilling,

It's possible that the information about stray light is from me. The Yosemite has a very good coating and good contrast but there are some significant inner reflections when looking against bright lights, especially with dark background. These are likely caused by reflecting surfaces of the inside of the binocular.

If I got it right that is stray light, but ghost images is like a foggy worsening of the image. The latter is caused by a bad coating.

I have tried many binoculars and dare to claim that the Yosemite 6x30 is the worlds best ever produced binocular in it's size and price range. The sharpness on-axis is rivalling the best high-end glasses in the world (I also own the Swarovski SLCnew7x42 so I have support for this opinion) but it looses the fight when it comes to total image performance.

You can't go wrong with the Yosemite, for the price it's a bargain, though the issues with the stray light and a play with the focusing wheel. The stray light you will not notice except from during difficult lightning conditions.

The Yosemite is originally designed for children, but is well suited for adults, as well. The moderate 6x magnification is very comfortable and provides a steady image.
The eye relief is good and well suited with eye-glasses (and I am demanding in this matter).

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
I have both the 6x and 8x Yosemites. I have not seen the stray light that Patrick sees to the degree he sees it. What there is with the Yosemite that I see is some ghosting or image flare when looking in the general direction of the sun. or particularly panning under an early afternoon sun on a bright day. The flare I get is like a slight purple haze. What worked for me to cure this problem was to install a ring of bicycle innertube over each eyepiece. I used a ring from a tube of smaller diameter than the eyepiece, this way the upper end of the inner tube ring folds back over the eyepiece, which in effect extends the length of the eyepiece the thickness of the inner tube. This slight extension removed just about all of that flare for me. The rainguard will still fit. This was with the 6x, the problem is not there with my 8x. I can get the stray light that Patrick mentions, but I have to really be paying attention to see it. Different eyes will obviously see different things differently. What little flare and stray light that does exist is actually fair compensation for the price paid for this binocular. If you assume that you will see flaws from an inexpensive binocular, you will see them. The same can also be said of an expensive binocular. Just get the Yosemite and enjoy them.

Steve,

When I think about it I recall that the stray light I am talking about is ray of lights crossing the field when having a light source just outside the field of view. These are maybe not visible at normal daytime use, but significant when looking at a street light at night. In my northern location we at this time of the year have nearly daylight 24 hours per day.

I compared this morning the Yosemite 6x30 to the Swarovski 7x42 indoors looking towards the window. Looking at an object in the shadow with bright light beside unveil the internal reflections very well. No binocular is completely free from these, not even Swarovski. But the internal reflections are very moderate, while the Yosemite shows considerably stronger effect. I can see some ghosting in the Yosemite but hardly in the Swarovski.

Regards, Patric

I don't notice problems with stray light or ghosting. If it is present then it isn't enough for me to notice during normal use. My main birding view is into early-to-late afternoon sun with many tree canopies, tree trunks, perches, birds, etc. silhouetted against a bright sky or bright objects.

With optics, issues like: color fringing, focus that isn't crisp to the edge, wavy field of views, etc., stick out to me and drive me nuts. With my sample of the Yosemites none of these are present to a point that I notice them when using them. I'm sure I'd notice stray light or ghosting if it was an issue.

As a point of reference, I was using Leica Trinovid and Zeiss ClassiC compacts (double hinged compacts) as my main birding bins. To my eyes the Yosemite holds it's own with these but I find the Yosemites to be much brighter, have a wider field of view, and to be more relaxing on the eyes. Any differences in contrast, etc. is so small that it is splitting hairs to me.

Last edited:
Patrick,

If I understsnd you correctly, what you describe in your last post is what I was calling flare. It was present in the conditions you describe. It went away with my eyecup extension. Considering their price, you really have to nit pick to come up with many objections to the Yosemite optical quality. I am more than happy with both of mine. The extended eye relief of the 6x makes them a good cold weather glass. The oculars stay away from your face just far enough that the oculars tend to fog much less than anything else I have, save my Vortex 6.5x32 Fury.

Last edited:
I was hyper critical with my new Nikon SE and Leica Ultravids when I first got them, for that kind of money I wanted zero faults and tested them accordingly. This drove me nuts as no binocular is perfect in every respect. When I bought my Yosemite's for $90.00 I had much lower expectations, and just used them in a normal sense. I am just tickled with them, they clearly are not Ultravids, but they are very good and quite enjoyable to use.

In my normal use during daylight I haven't noticed the flare you mention, and I'm not going to go out of my way looking for it. If in the course of normal use, I run into problems, I'll be the first to post. Now I just use my binoculars, no more driving myself crazy testing them in unusual conditions.

Steve C,

It's possible that I because of the linguistic difficulties with english language don't always express my self perfectly. Yes, I think "flare" may be the right word.

When you say: "Considering their price, you really have to nit pick to come up with many objections to the Yosemite optical quality" I completely agree.
I will even state that the Yosemite is the best ever produced binocular in it's price range. Improve the physical performance (example the focusing mechanism), reduce the flarings and ghost images, and improve the edge sharpness; then you have a binocular competetive to the very best high-grade models available. On-axis sharpness and contrast I think already are high-grade.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back