• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro lens help please. (1 Viewer)

stevetb

Hi,
Im thinking of buying a macro lens (for a 400D), and am not sure what I need. I would like to take detailed close ups of both plants and animals.
I have ~£300 to spend, so was thinking a 2nd sigma 180? But is this too long? Do I need a tripod and flash?

Thanks if you can help!

The Canon 100 macro is a very good lens. It also takes a 1.4 tc (non Canon) very well with absolute minimum IQ loss, this gives a fairly lightweight 140mm. I use mine in the field with a monopod which I find a lot less restrictive than a tripod.

I recently had this dilema and eventually went for the Sigma 150mm.

I didn't want to necessarily use a tripod and I was advised the 180mm was a bit big for hand-held (I never tried it so can't be certain).

The 150mm has continuous manual which means you can focus in auto and 'tweak' it manually at any time (sorry if you already new that-I didn't). I find this extremely useful with hand held shots (as with the attached)

It has 3 distance settings which help with fast focus.
I can't compare but would certainly recommend it-I have had such enjoyment from it.

I'm sure a tripod would be useful but I don't use one (my old tripod is too slow and not versatile enough)
I purchased mine from HongKong-brilliant service and quick delivery by Fedex.

Attachments

• IMG_8150.JPG
    IMG_8150.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I also have a sigma 150 - it is a terrific lens and it works very well with a 1.4 extender - so you can hang back off the bees, butterflies etc.

Regards
Jon

I use the Sigma 105mm and Sigma 150mm (and haven't yet needed a TC). Almost always use a monopod, occasionally a tripod and rarely handheld

Here ya go: Canon 350D + Sigma 105mm

Attachments

• _MG_0532.jpg
    _MG_0532.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 127
I use a Sigma 150mm. It's a heavy lens, but a good one. I get the best results when used with a tripod. In the field I use it with a Monopod.
You won't go wrong with this lens.

huh?
I assume you are asking if there are two sigma 105mm macro lenses - as far as I know sigma make only one 105mm macro prime lens - though they make differnet models of that same lens for different camera bodies (eg sigma nikon and canon)

Sigma prime macros are a very good choice and on par with quality with the brand (canon nikon) macro primes with regard to image quality. The 105 has the disadvantage of not working with sigma teleconverters which is important if you want to boost your focal length - which allows for a greater workind distance (distance from bug to camera sensor) as well as increased background blur and inreased magnification factor (2*TC lets you get double magnification of the sigma) of course you lose in sharpness (though not by very much), speed and light - so additional flash light is definatly needed for TC work.

Out of interest AC how did it go?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back