• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maanvis-Moonfish? (1 Viewer)

Raydes

Dinosaur in action
Hi all,

I don't know the English or Scientific name for it, but it looked nice for me to report it here!

This fish was washed upon the beach at the Belgian coast yesterday.

Regards Raymond.

Second try for the image

Sorry for the double post!

I couldn't see the image in the first post ?
Maybe better now?
Picture taken with courtesy off photographer!

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

I've not seen one but I think it's called Sunfish in English - occasionally seen in Summer in our waters.

Did you see it?

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I didn't take the picture but got permission to use it here from my friend Leo Janssen who found the fish and also took the picture :)
Thanks for the info SUNFISH !

Raymond

Hi Raydes,

Yes, Sunfish Mola mola. I saw two of them in the North Sea 19km off Blyth on 1st September 2002. They are very rare in this area: the boatman said they were the third and fourth he had seen in 30 years of fishing in the area - two in 30 years, and then two more in one day!

The same day we also saw a Wilson's Petrel Oceanites oceanicus . . . .

Michael

Hi Raymond,
Sunfish are regularly seen in the waters off of S and SW Ireland(and probably further north along the west coast too?)during the summer months: see a few every year while seawatching.
Harry H

Thanks for the info Michael & Harry,

I know now that they are not annually here, and that it seems the years they occur they come in small numbers.
And most often in wintertime, rare in summer.
According to a local veterinary is it the colder water slows down their heartbeat!,what causes their stranding.

Greetz Raymond.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back