• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Botswana information wanted please (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Hi all,

has anyone here been to Botswana, and/or had dealings with a tour company called Explore worldwide? I have found an itinery for a Botswana wildife safari for 17 days london to london. Taking in the Okavango panhandle on a houseboat for 3 nights, 2 nights at Livingstone with a trip to Victoria falls, 3 nights camping at Chobe National park at Serondela/Savuti channel and the remainder spent at Moremi Game reserve (2 nights, not sure where exactly) and 2 nights at Xaxanaka.

Having already been on safari in kenya I'm keen to see leopard and african wild dogs (as well as get some decent photos now that I have a better camera!)

The price looks quite reasonable at around £2200.

Any thoughts on those who have gone would be much appreciated. I'm thinking about going in November.

Wow, that's look's like a great package Kittykat.

I'm going in September with the Sierra Club and with an itinerary similar to yours. Except your trip is 2-3 days longer and costs 800 GBP less. If your outfit is reputable it looks like a great deal.

Cheers,
Robert / Seattle

Hi,

yes I believe it does cover the air fare as well from Heathrow. The camping conditions look to be quite basic. Group size estimated between 9 to 12. I am very tempted!!! :) :t:

Hi KittyKat,
I was in Botswana in March, I did not get to the Okavango but still I had a great time and saw some amazing birds with five species of Bee Eater usally sat on the roof of the hotel.
The game was disappointing and certainly in the Chobe area no comparison to the great grasslands of Kenya. However I did have a great view of a Leopard which ironically was the only animal I missed in Kenya & Tanzania last year, other sightings were Elephant, Hippo, Giraffe, Lion, Kudu, Impala, Baboons etc.
The trip to Zambia via the river crossing is an experience and resembles a scene from Idiana Jones, also us Brits have to pay £75 each for a visa to enter Zambia and as we had re-entered Zambia it cost us a total of £150 each person. I believe it is simillar for visitors from the US.
Vic Falls is a must and you will probably go through the grounds of the Zambezi Sun Hotel
to get to the falls. The hotel grounds are superb for birds no to mention Giraffes, Elephants and Zebra's by the pool, spend some time here if you can.
I thought the people of Zambia and Botswana were great and I would not hesitate to return.
I went in March which in hindsight was perhaps not the best time but nevertheless saw many amazing sights of nature.
If I can provide any further information please send me a pm
regards
Merlin

Last edited:
Hi,

yes I believe it does cover the air fare as well from Heathrow. The camping conditions look to be quite basic. Group size estimated between 9 to 12. I am very tempted!!! :) :t:

Even better. On top of our fee we have to pay our own air fare from the States to Jo'Burg. Our group is 16 individuals, so yours sounds like a super deal. I would be much more than tempted if I were you.

BTW, a Zambia Visa is 100 USD for us, plus an agent's fee in the neighborhood of 35-55 USD.

Robert / Seattle

Hi KittyKat

It sounds like a great package. I lead wildlife tours out to Botswana for Speyside Wildlife and our package usually includes Moremi, Xugana, Savute, Chobe (main complex) and Livingstone with Desert & Delta Safaris. I have a trip report from my last trip (November 2007) here. Some photos but I never got the time finish adding them!

A couple of points. Leopard and Wild Dog are not easy. I saw both at Moremi in Nov 07. The guides there are fabulous and whilst the Leopard was one known to be around the camp (tracks seen daily but the animal rarely) the Wild Dogs hadnt been seen for some weeks when we re-located them.

Also, Vic Falls in Nov - first time I went out was in November and it didnt occur to me that it was at the end of the dry season so the falls are nowehere near in full flood. They are down to around 5% of flow this time of year - so dont be too disappointed. The tip here is to make sure you go and view the falls from the top from Livingstone Island via the Royal Livingstone Hotel. This is an absolute must to get any sort of feel for them. Viewing from the other side of the gorge on the normal tourist walk will leave you a little disappointed otherwise.

The place is stunning. The birding is fab. The game might not be what folk get elsewhere, but then you aint having to pub up with the nubmers of people elsewhere. Chobe main is the only place it begins to feel commercial - the smalelr camps, and in particular the delta, are just immensely free of people and you do get the sense of wilderness.

Definitiely! We need a Botswana subforum! :t:

Forgot to add, Thanks Steve for the input. I am aware the falls are at their lowest flow but I understand this would be a good time birdwatching-wise, and hoping that not too much rain has come so that the game viewing might still be fairly good. In your opinion, which of the optional activites around livingstone are a must-do? I think we only have one full day there (I believe we arrive in the afternoon and have two nights in the hotel). I'd particularly like to see the Turacos and Taita falcon that are supposedly in the area.

Robert- You have a great trip too!

Last edited:
I've only ever stayed at Livingstone overnight so have only had time to take my groups to the falls (and I now only do the Livingstone Island option - great for Rock Pratincole). So I havent dont either the Turacos or falcon.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back