• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basic which? (1 Viewer)

DaveWT

Hi,

I'm new to message boards and even newer to digiscoping i.e. I haven't. I have a Kowa TSN821A scope with a x32WA eyepiece. I'm happy with the scope and have no plans to replace that. I'm about to buy a digital camera for general use but would like to be able to use that for digiscoping. From what I've read, I have in mind a Coolpix 4500. Will that produce good results with my Kowa scope or is there a better alternative? What about an adaptor to connect camera to eyepiece - where do I buy that?

DaveWT

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum.

You have certainly come to the right place for advice on Digiscoping. As a result of the info gleaned on here I took up Digiscoping myself earlier this year. I too use a Kowa scope though I have the 823. I think it's pretty safe to say that the best suited cameras for digiscoping are the Nikon CP 4500 or the earlier 990. I have the 4500 myself.

As regards adapters there are a few out there made by various companies. Personally I favour the LCE (London Camera Exchange) adapter which retails for around £50. Having said that I did make my own and tend to alternate between the two.

I'll be putting my gear up for sale shortly as I've been promised a new scope for Xmas. Check out the For sale / wanted forums over the next couple of days if you're interested, as I'll post the adapter at least, maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi Dave - welcome to BF, I'm sure you'll get lots of help here. We've recently bought a Coolpix 4500 because we want to get into digiscoping - we've just got to decide on the rest of the stuff now. :eek!: Good luck with your digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back