• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bedford Park Pond Wildfowl (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I regulary walk through my local park to see what is going on ith the local Wildfowl. Only yesterday I walked through to see that the local pair of mute swans had produced a clutch of 8 cygnets.

Again 8 cygnets where born last year. Sadly 5 of the cygnets disappeared overnight never to be seen agian. I have often wondered what had happened to them. Hopefully the same does not happen this year.

Any ideas anyone what happens to the Cygnets? They are so vulnerable at this stage of their lives. o:)

I also noticed the first signs of Mallard chicks and they are really independant little things with a mind of their own. o:)

Kathy

Hi there

Had a walk yesterday afternoon, and the 8 cygnets are alive and well.

I really hope that this remains so this year.

Kathy
x

Had another look yesterday and the little ones are alright

my OH had a look this time and he reported back to me.

Kathy
x

Good News for 2008

Hi there

The Swan situation at Bedford Park is as this.

More good news that the cygnets from this year are doing well and they are quite big now

As was mentioned there where 8 if them and now there are 7 as from 2 days ago. So the news if better than last year.
Last year the orginal 8 cygnets wittled down to 3 and only 3 where left which was so sad. :-C
My OH and I where unfortunate to see a couple of dead cygnets floating on the water last year too. We wondered what they had been put through too, poor mites :-C

Anyway lets this years 7 cygnets be a success, and long may they get on as well as they are at the moment. o:)

So pleased with their current outcome and I will keep my eye out for them as I always do.

Kathy
x

Last edited:
Bedford Walk 20/4/09

Hi there

We decided to go for another walk around Bedford today and see what was going on at our local park, and riverside. Lots of trees are in blossom at the moment, and it makes the place look a lot more spring/summer like.

The weather was beautiful today so there was nothing to complain about in that department. Just as we set off a Blue Butterfly flew past. By the colour I am sure it was a Common Blue.

We continued through our little park near to us and made our way to Bedford Park.

As we where walking a Peacock Butterfly decided to fly closeby to where we where walking. I tried to get close to it but it flew off as they do

The Park was a hive of activity Mute Swans, Canadian Geese, Mallards, Coots, and Moorhens where thriving. At one stage there was a flurry of activity as two Mute Swans chased each other. I would think it is the parents chasing of their last years young from their patch. All the flying, flapping of wings, and splashing about was a spectacle to many people.

The Moorhen and the Coot looked all by themselves but they must have partners somewhere. All the birds where unphased by our presence there. They are always on the search for food so it is easy to get really close to them so that is a bonus for a picture or two.

I could hear a Song Thrush singing in the tree nearby, and many tinkling tunes from a group of Goldfinches. Lots of twittering from Blue Tits and Great Tits.
The sun had brought many people out and the park was very busy.
There where many White Butterflies fluttering glistening in the sun, and never stayed still while we walked along, They where no doubt searching out their food source.

We mananged to do our shopping and made our way along the side of the Great River Ouse. Lots of Canadian Geese where sleeping with their heads over their backs. a couple of vocal white Farmyard Geese waddled up to us and went about their business. A male and female Mallard duck followed us along the route. We threw in some Swan food and the Mute Swans loved it. We could see there where a few of last years cygnets still in the group.

The cobs where showing their leadship by fluffing up their feathers so there was a pecking order going on between the Male Swans. Some chasing around was done here and there. Nothing to unpleasant though. I could see that a couple of Mute Swans are ringed and I took a note of the ring numbers for necessary monitor work being on the species.

Then we saw a Female Mallard with 6 tiny ducklings. They where just the sweetest little things. The Female duck was determined to keep them together and gently pushed them toward her to keep all 6 together. She looked proud of her clutch of ducklings.

We decided to get the bus home, and that was our 3 hour walk about, with shopping complete. At our front door another Common Blue butterfly flew past us. We wondered if it was the same one from earlier in the day.

So another day doing our shopping along with some Wildlife watching for us.

Picture 1 - Female Mallard having a doze
Picture 2 - Male and Female Mallard enjoying the sun.
Picture 3 - Female Mallard with 6 chicks
Picture 4 - Mute Swan
Picture 5 - Mute Swan

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back