• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski foot to Manfrotto 701RC2 (1 Viewer)

grizcat68

Hello, it's my understanding that the Swarovski foot of a 65HD is supposed to fit into the 701RC2 head with no adaptor. I can get it to fit and lock at 90 degrees from where I want it. Am I missing something, it is close to going in when positioned as supposed to, but needs .100 milled off the foot to go in. I thought the swaro's fit in all the Manfrotto heads. I am currently using it on top of the QR plate. Thanks:t:

Swarovskis don't fit all Manfrotto heads. Mine fits the Manfrotto 128RC head but not my 700 head. I suspect it's not designed to fit the 701 head either.

Sean

Hello, it's my understanding that the Swarovski foot of a 65HD is supposed to fit into the 701RC2 head with no adaptor. I can get it to fit and lock at 90 degrees from where I want it. Am I missing something, it is close to going in when positioned as supposed to, but needs .100 milled off the foot to go in. I thought the swaro's fit in all the Manfrotto heads. I am currently using it on top of the QR plate. Thanks:t:

I just purchased the 701RC2 and was also of the same opinion as you, that it would fit my 56 HD without the adapter plate. Took quite a few minutes of trying all permutations to realise it just was not going to work without the adapter. I should had done my research.

I just purchased the 701RC2 and was also of the same opinion as you, that it would fit my 56 HD without the adapter plate. Took quite a few minutes of trying all permutations to realise it just was not going to work without the adapter. I should had done my research.

Hi all -

If you look at the orientation of the Manfrotto quick-release plate when placed into the 701 head, when compared to the full-size Manfrotto heads it is placed "sideways" on the 701's head. since the plate is rectangular and not square, it DOES make a difference which head you use in order to fix the scope foot without using a QR plate.

Thus, as grizcat says, the scope foot only fits into the 701 tripod head at a 90-degree orientation. Your choicees are to;
1) use a QR plate with the spotting scope on the 701
2) use the scope without QR plate on a different Manfrotto head
3) nag Manfrotto into changing the plate orientation on the 701-type heads (good luck with that...) ;-)

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back