• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help get my life list to 200? (1 Viewer)

SimonC

Still listing - I'll capsize one day
Hello people,

Wasn't sure where to put this one, so I guess here would be as good as anywhere?
My life list currently stands at 177 and I've decided to give it all I've got to try & reach 200 this year.
This is where you come in! ;)
I've looked at what I need & have come up with 12 of the more common species, to post here.

I live in Hertfordshire & would love to get some of these on my Herts list (but I know some of them may not be possible) but if anyone knows of regular/reliable sites/times for any of the birds on the following list in the South East (say 150mile radius of Stevenage? ;) ) I'd be most grateful for any info!

1. Black-necked Grebe
  2. Garganey
  3. Peregrine
  4. Jack Snipe
  5. Ring-necked Parakeet
  6. Barn Owl
  7. Black Redstart
  8. Whinchat
  9. Ring Ouzel
  10. Cetti's Warbler
  11. Grasshopper Warbler
  12. Wood Warbler

Thanks in advance

Thinking about it, this would probably have been better in "lists", maybe one of the Mods. could move it?

Last edited:
pduxon said:
Quite a few of those I want(can I join you!!), see the following thread for Ring Necked and no I still haven't gone to see them!! Will have to very soon.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=7532&highlight=necked

Pete, you're quite welcome to join! ;)
Cheers for the RN Parakeet link, there was one reported just a 5 minute drive from my house on the 30th December, but, of course, it was gone by the time the HBC website was updated & I actually knew about it! :(

of yours I need, Black-necked Grebe, Jack Snipe, Ring-necked Parakeet, Barn Owl, Black Redstart, Ring Ouzel,
Grasshopper Warbler & Wood Warbler

Will have to get to Lynford for Hawfinch!

pduxon said:
Will have to get to Lynford for Hawfinch!

Got a trip planned for the Weekend of 31st Jan/1st Feb (just hope I don't dip, cos I'm taking my mate & his missus along!)<--- this is the same mate who delights in telling me about the Black Redstart he saw outside our old workplace one saturday when he was on OT & I wasn't! GRRRRRRR!

SimonC said:
Got a trip planned for the Weekend of 31st Jan/1st Feb (just hope I don't dip, cos I'm taking my mate & his missus along!)<--- this is the same mate who delights in telling me about the Black Redstart he saw outside our old workplace one saturday when he was on OT & I wasn't! GRRRRRRR!

Bit like the GIT who is sitting next to me who casually mentioned he'd seen a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on the feeders at Hanningfield!

And it looks like I've joined the 1000 posts club!!

hello SimonC, as you're in Herts, you may wish to try Fowlmere NR for Grasshopper Warbler. (Not sure if thats Cambs or Herts)I haven't visited for 2 years, but heard at least 2, (with a fleeting glimpse of 1) in the two years previous, 2000 and 2001. Dusk is generally the best time and as I recall, they were around the watercress beds. Good luck.

I'd forgotten about the groppers at Fowlmere! (Cambs I think!)
Never actually been there, but the stupid thing is, I drive past the signs for it everytime I go to Norfolk!
Might have to make time this year! (I think I remember a few reports of Penduline Tit in the past too - which would be one more towards the goal!)

If you can get to Strumpshaw Fen in about May (preferably early in the morning) you should manage Cetti's, Grasshopper Warbler and possibly Barn Owl and Garganey. At this time of year it should be possible to get Jack Snipe.

I suspect quite a few of the birds on your list may turn up in the Hertfordshire area during the course of the year so it's maybe also just a case of keeping an eye on the birdlines, websites etc. I would think that Black-necked Grebe, Garganey, Peregrine would all be quite likely at local gravel pits, reservoirs etc.

seb_seb said:
You might have to travel a bit further for Ring Ouzel?

Not particularly (don't actually know why I included that one as I know where to go for them! - just haven't had transport at the right time of year!)
They are regular on passage between late March to May at Blows Downs, Bedfordshire. Gotta go this year though, I fear, as a large part of the site is under threat from "development"!

So, ignore the Ring Ouzel on the list, that was an oversight on my part!

Based on living in bucks and herts a few years back:
Black-necked Grebe is regular in the London area, try Staines in early autumn or the lea valley. Used to see one or two at Tring Reservoirs most years.
Garganey used to be pretty regular at Tring in Mid Aug to Mid Sep.
Jack Snipe used to be present in small numbers in the Tring Res area in autumn / winter. The best time to see them on the ground was when there was low water levels on Marsworth Res in late October / Early Nov, when there was a fringe of mud to the reed bed.
Peregrines were kicking around the Tring / Pitstone area when I last passed through (Nov 2001). Believe theres a regular one in Bedford which isn't too far either.
Ring Ouzel is regular in small numbers in spring in the Chilterns at places like Steps Hill and Blows Downs. Can be very hard to find though!.
Wood Warblers used to be present in small numbers in Ashridge Forest, but I'm guessing they are probably more or less extinct these days :-(.

Hi Simon

If you are contemplating a trip to London see if you can find the time to visit some of the parks. For example Bushy, or Richmond park. You are almost certain to see Ring Necks.

I often work in Beckenham and there is a little park there called Kelsey Park, this is another good site for Parrakeets. In fact it is almost impossible to spend a day there without hearing them calling.

Good luck with the list.

Brian T

SimonC said:
Hello people,

Wasn't sure where to put this one, so I guess here would be as good as anywhere?
My life list currently stands at 177 and I've decided to give it all I've got to try & reach 200 this year.
This is where you come in! ;)
I've looked at what I need & have come up with 12 of the more common species, to post here.

I live in Hertfordshire & would love to get some of these on my Herts list (but I know some of them may not be possible) but if anyone knows of regular/reliable sites/times for any of the birds on the following list in the South East (say 150mile radius of Stevenage? ;) ) I'd be most grateful for any info!

1. Black-necked Grebe
  2. Garganey
  3. Peregrine
  4. Jack Snipe
  5. Ring-necked Parakeet
  6. Barn Owl
  7. Black Redstart
  8. Whinchat
  9. Ring Ouzel
  10. Cetti's Warbler
  11. Grasshopper Warbler
  12. Wood Warbler

Thanks in advance

Thinking about it, this would probably have been better in "lists", maybe one of the Mods. could move it?

I don't know how long you have been birding, but I wouldn't get too obsessed with your life list until you can identify the birds you are going to see. Give your local patch some hammer and a lot of the birds you mention will come to you! A good 80% of the species you mention are to be found on a reasonable patch in the SE.

helenol said:
Simon, I saw a black redstart this weekend. ;)
I saw one a couple of years ago too!

In Germany!.

What Helen didn't say was that hers wasn't in England!.
She's just winding you up!.

Lawman said:
I don't know how long you have been birding, but I wouldn't get too obsessed with your life list until you can identify the birds you are going to see. Give your local patch some hammer and a lot of the birds you mention will come to you! A good 80% of the species you mention are to be found on a reasonable patch in the SE.
Sorry, but I fail to see the connection between the number of birds on my life list and my ability to identify birds that aren't on it?
FYI I've actually been birding since early childhood (on & off) but have only been "listing" for 10 years (and about four of those years I didn't do any birding at all for various reasons)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back