• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Risso's Dolphin? (dead) at East Chevington (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

I found this dolphin dead on the beach at East Chevington this afternoon. The head is badly damaged and much skin is missing, but the lack of beak, sickle-shaped fin and size (8 feet nose to tail) is making me think it's a Risso's dolphin.

Am I right?

Attachments

• Dolphin 01 copy.jpg
    Dolphin 01 copy.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Dolphin 02 copy.jpg
    Dolphin 02 copy.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Dolphin 03 copy.jpg
    Dolphin 03 copy.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 65
  • Dolphin 07 copy.jpg
    Dolphin 07 copy.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 74
Alan,

I'm no expert, but I think a Risso's would show a much more pronounced melon. This dolphin does show a small beak and it's general shape, dorsal fin shape and size (can get up to 9 1/2 feet) all point to White-beaked Dolphin. On range, this is also the more likely. Have you reported it?

Cheers

Martyn

Alan,

I'm no expert, but I think a Risso's would show a much more pronounced melon. This dolphin does show a small beak and it's general shape, dorsal fin shape and size (can get up to 9 1/2 feet) all point to White-beaked Dolphin. On range, this is also the more likely. Have you reported it?

Cheers

Martyn

I must agree with martin, it looks more like a white beaked dolphin to me, due to size and the shape of the melon, most Risso's have a ridge on there heads, also I would have thought that it would have shown some scarring on the body as well if it was a Risso's?
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave.

Thanks. My first thought on the beach was white-beaked, we often get them through here in June, but when I looked up some info the written descriptions made me think of Risso's. Unfortunately the website I was using didn't have full body photos, only dorsal fins at the sea-surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back