• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hide help please! (1 Viewer)

midlandbirder

After reading the thread about pictures and how there made, I have decided to set up a feeding station in a local woodland.
Can anybody give me inspiration or share ideas on building a hide out of natural materials as i dont really know where to start.

I have decided against buying a bag hide as i want to have a structure i can leave there for the birds to be used to. If i leave a pop up hide there theres a good chance it will be stolen.
I know if i build somthing it might be vandalised but at least i can easily repair it.

You can get a lot of hides now that you can be portable if that would be a better solution?
I bought one of your pop up hides and all i can say is BRILLIANT its actually too good, i had myself surrounded by deer in the forest the other day in mine but as usual my batteries were dead Grrrrrrrrrrr
I can recomend them to anyone
Cheers Stevie
Brian

Hmm - very tempted by one of those chair-type hides... looks perfect for the garden, as it's not too big.

I just bought a hide off ebay last week, didn't know Ultimateaddons was registered here or I'd have bought one of his. The thing that persuaded me to get a pop up rather than the chair type is the fact that I take so much stuff with me needed more space inside the hide, also the fact that I'm not the smallest guy in the world.

Hey Brian - that's exactly what I thought, great price and space. Fine for solo watching or if you go with a mate. Also, they look similar to put away as my photography backgrounds i.e. with that twisting rotating motion needed to ensure such a large object folds away into a nice neat circular storage area!!

I am certain to be getting one as soon as I spot one in stock.

Hey Brian - that's exactly what I thought, great price and space. Fine for solo watching or if you go with a mate. Also, they look similar to put away as my photography backgrounds i.e. with that twisting rotating motion needed to ensure such a large object folds away into a nice neat circular storage area!!

I am certain to be getting one as soon as I spot one in stock.
Your right they do twist/turn to close up and once you get the knack of it its a doddle!
You will be impressed when you get one as they are VERY well made and Ultimate Addons are great to deal with (wish more companies were as helpful etc)
Cheers
Brian
ps ask Stevie to give you a shout when they are back in stock, i'm not suprised they sell out quickly at that price etc. They sell lots of camo gear too!

I tried using a pop-up hide on the farmland where I work for a while but the problem was it kept blowing away in the wind and the poles were getting snapped. So for Feeding Station Version IV I've made a more permanent structure based on Mike's brushwood design. I bought a piece of 4x2m brushwood from the garden centre and folded it round stakes to make a square hide, each side of about 1.2m. Obviously this is insufficient brushwood, so the side with the gap is at the back to form the door. I've used four strong 1.8m stakes to form the corners and used canes as cross-members to add structural rigidity. The hide is about 1.5m tall, the top 0.5m of each side is bent over to form the roof. Then I've used a piece of canvas to use as a door over the gap at the back (extending over the roof to keep it waterproof(ish)) and cut a hole in the front for the lens, covered over with scrim netting. Seems to be OK so far, but it hasn't had to withstand any autumn storms yet.

Hi sorry i have just been advised by my purchasing department that we will not be supplying this model of hide. We are moving away from the popup hides and will be concentrating on chair and our new ghillie hub hides. Our new hub hides are as easy as the easy up hides to assemble and over more structural support to the elements. The hub hides are large enough for a couple of birdwatchers/photographers to sit comfortably with their photography equipment tripods/bags/supplies etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back