• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the kestrels' subspecies (1 Viewer)

Lihu_Xiong

All around the world, how many subspecies of kestrels there are? And how about the subspecies distribution.
and In the history, Is there other method to divide the species to subspecies?

Maybe I just want to know the phylogenetic of the kestrels.

thanks!

Lihu, I'm not sure which kestrels you are talking about. All small falcons of the genus Falco are not called 'kestels'. Monroe & Sibley do not indicate any subspecific breakdown of the species of this genus; Clements lists eleven subspecies of the Eurasian Kestrel, F. tinnunculus and 17 of the American Kestrel, F. sparverius.

Four of the Eurasian subspecies are restricted to the Canary and Cape Verde Islands, four others are African, one is Indian, one East Asian (yours and mine, I presume, F. interstinctus), while the nominate, F. t. tinnunculus, is by far the most widespread, from North Africa, across Europe to Siberia.

Can't help you with the rationale for their separation into subspecies, sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back