• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Good is CP4500 Without Digi-scoping? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Ive really had my appetite wetted at the thought of being able to bring my scope into service through digi-scoping. But, i was wondering, as i enjoy doing macro photography, how good is the CP4500 on its own?

Also, can this camera, along with a scope, be used for macro work, or is it just for long distant shots?

Im so close to buying this camera, so im just after some feedback as to how good it is as a stand alone piece of kit.

If you have this model, is there anything you can add to enable me to see how good it really is? Is there a particular model of the CP4500 i should steer clear of, or go for?

In fact, why digi, as opposed to standard 35mm SLR'S ?

All comments will be much appreciated........ :t:

tracker

Last edited:
The Coolpix swivel models do well for macro work; fact, it's believed by some people that their lenses are actually optimized for this purpose. However, the closest reproduction ratio is, as I recall, about 1:2.5, as opposed to an actual 35mm. macro lens, which will go to 1:2 or even 1:1. Also, to get this maximum close-up one has to get very close to the subject, so for animal life this is not convenient.

I've never used my digiscoping outfit for "macro' work, although I have taken bird photos at close to my Pentax scope's minimum focusing distance. It's my impression that the optical performance of most spotting scopes is not going to be best at this range. But again, I can't really comment knowledgeably on this topic.

As for why Coolpix as opposed to dslr, it's a matter of price. A Coolpix 4500 sells for what, about $500 today, and even the cheapie Canon digital Rebel with lens is around $1000. Nikon will soon have the D70, which will be similarly priced as a low-end dslr. And if you want to use the camera to take bird photos, you must purchase a good telephoto lens, which at the very least is several hundred dollars additional investment, and for top quality, we're talking a thousand dollars or more.

The truth is that for any particular purpose, a dslr with the proper lens and accessories will do better than a Coolpix. The CCD size is larger, the maximum number of pixels per image is larger, and at the finest settings the finished print size without distortion can be larger. Even though the Coolpix zoom lens is excellent, it's fixed and when you add "helper" lenses for wide angle and telephoto the image quality cannot help but be degraded somewhat.

The appeal of the Coolpix is that it's compact, versatile, and it takes great photos for a reasonably small investment. Lots of birders get them for digiscoping, which is a relatively inexpensive way to get high-magnification bird photos. But it's a compromise when compared to what's possible with the right dslr equipment.

Mince pie crust.........lmao.....ehem.....where was i?

Oh yes, the scope im hoping to use with this CP4500 is the Nikon Spotting Scope RA1. Im aware that due to it being 60mm, light gathering ability will be reduced.

I have always used SLR equipment, in fact some of my best shots have been with a standard 300mm lens using a close up screw on filter. Try chasing a female Orange Tip butterfly around a field in Chester using that... ;) ....and the result really amazed me. So i guess, now the chance has opened up for me to consider using my scope with a digital camera, i was just a little weary of taking the plunge. As i said, i was interested to know how this CP4500 performed using its macro facility. I will check out the references that were made above.

I suppose the fact that rolls of film can be a thing of the past too, is also a plus, huh?

Thanks for the pointers, and well, i welcome others too.

tracker

robinm said:
I too have had reasonable success with my CP4500 in macro mode - for example this photo . I have also use it as a general scenic camera and am happy with the results e.g. this photo

The shot with the caterpillar......did you use any other equipment along with the cp4500, or was the pic taken with the cams basic macro setting? In other words, did you have any extra lighting equipment on the cam for that shot?

Thanks,

tracker

brianhstone said:
I have a second hand CP995 and use this for macro shots - mainly moths but also other subjects (including recently a mincepie crust - don't ask!). See my gallery for a few examples.
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=3983

It was one of the reasons I went for a Coolpix. The macro performance is superb in my opinion and is supposed to be similar on the 4500.

Hi Brian....Ive just been lookin at your pics, and theyre really cool. The one of the Brown Argus in Cop and even the Dark Sword-grass, were they just through the camera, and nothing else? Or did you have extra lighting?

Thanks,

tracker

tracker said:
The shot with the caterpillar......did you use any other equipment along with the cp4500, or was the pic taken with the cams basic macro setting? In other words, did you have any extra lighting equipment on the cam for that shot?

Thanks,

tracker
No extra lighting - just macro mode. It was a brightish July day last year at Rye, but not especially sunny. This shot was taken is slightly more overcast but bright weather at Dungeness.

Hope this helps.

robinm said:
No extra lighting - just macro mode. It was a brightish July day last year at Rye, but not especially sunny. This shot was taken is slightly more overcast but bright weather at Dungeness.

Hope this helps.

Beautiful pictures, robin, and you use the cp4500? Hmmm, the drive to purchase a cp4500 becomes even more intense!!..... :bounce:

Thnx again everyone, for your time on this,

btw.....is there different models of the cp4500, like one better than another?

tracker

tracker said:
btw.....is there different models of the cp4500, like one better than another?

tracker
No - there is only one CP4500. Thanks for the compliment.

CJW - that is a real stunner.

Terrific shot CJ! But I am also impressed with the Chinese Character (http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7903). I struggled to get a pic of one I had last year but gave up. The camera was new to me then. Hopefully this year...

I think these shots show the potential of these cameras. They are light hungry compared to an SLR an I have often had to use flash for some macros that won't sit still for long exposures. I think there are other threads on the macro speedlight which can help.

To be perfectly honest, im pretty gob-smacked at the standard of these pics. Maybe i should stick to building computers.....lol

I reckon my scope will probably let me down, on the light gathering issue, bein 60mm.

What you guys are showing me here, is what ive wanted to do for years. Heres a piccie i took, several years ago, probably about 7 years, using a Minolta Dynax 500si SLR camera, with a 300mm lens , and attached to the lens i put one of those filter type close-up lens's:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16340&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Im hoping with the correct equipment, i'll be able to improve.

tracker

Last edited:
Fuchsia said:
Hello :)
The camera I use for the macro stuff is a 4500. Buy one!!

Jen :)

Thanks, fellow bug-lover........ ;)

All of a sudden, im feeling my brain is about to fold up......with 'digi-cam' overload!! :eek!:

There just seems to be so many variations on these cams, and the more i look into them, the more questions i get....like do i need to pay £400 for one when theres another model for £200. Then to hear that the CP4500, even maybe some way down the line is being brought out of production, leaves me feeling even more bewildered. :h?:

Ok, i love macro photography, and would like the option to use a cam on my scope, albeit a 60mm. Why the cp4500 as opposed to say, the 4300 or 3100?

Maybe i just need to take the plunge, and 'just do it'.

Best price ive seen so far is £360 inc postage, from Pixmania.

Lots of hmmmmm's

tracker

I find the cp 4500 excellent for macro though sometimes it won't auto focus quite were you want it to. But when it works (and it does most of the time) I can't really fault it.

Attachments

• Peacock.jpg
    Peacock.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 124
Denis J said:
I find the cp 4500 excellent for macro though sometimes it won't auto focus quite were you want it to. But when it works (and it does most of the time) I can't really fault it.

Thanks, Denis.

Can it be manually focussed?

tracker

Best price ive seen so far is £360 inc postage, from Pixmania.

Lots of hmmmmm's

tracker[/QUOTE]

Look closer at the Pixmania. That price does not include a Battery, Charger or a case and that's almost £100 worth of neccesary accesories.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back