• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Patch: Sydney's Northern Beaches (1 Viewer)

mtyoung400

Stealing food from your picnic!!
This is something I posted at a different site a couple of days ago, but I thought you guys here might appreciate it as well.

I do pretty much all of my bird watching on Sydney's Northern Beaches. It really is a great place to a large variety of birds with pretty much all the major types of bird groups represented at some time during the year.

Dee Why Lagoon
Lots of smaller birds such as Wrens, Paradalotes, Honeyeaters, Eastern Yellow Robins, Red-whiskered Bulbuls, Yellow and Yellow-rumped Thornbills etc inhabit the more denser areas. Water birds such Darters, Comorants, Black Swans, Swamphens and what I thought was a Rufuos night Heron can be seen. Musk, Scaley and Rainbow Lorikeets noisily inhabit the trees along Richmond Ave.

Female Darter enjoying the afternoon sun.
Darter006f-1.jpg

Eastern Yellow Robin.
EasternYellowRobin008-1.jpg

Male Variegated Fairy-Wren, non-breeding.
VariegatedFairyWrenf001-1.jpg

Long Reef
I haven't spent much time here looking for birds, but from what I've seen you can see Richards Pipit's hiding on the golf course if you're walking up the southern track. Nankeen Kestrels glide over the cliff face, as well as the odd White-bellied Sea Eagle flying overhead on the odd occasion. The usual collection of Wattlebirds, Honeyeaters are along the track to the carpark. I've heard that there are some waders, not sure which ones, that visit from time to time.

Richard's Pipit.
RichardsPipit002.jpg

Crested Terns at Long Reef
CrestedTern002.jpg

Narrabeen Lagoon
An easily accesible track at the end of Jamieson Creek that leads to Wheeler Heights. Great for seeing nesting Lorikeets, Cockatoos and Kingfishers along the track. It has the usual smaller birds as with Dee Why Lagoon. I've also seen White-eyes Tawny and Frogmouths there as well. It's popularity with walkers and bike riders can be a bit frustrating. It's best to go there during a workday.

Darter having lunch.
Darter003.jpg

White-faced Heron
WhiteFacedHeron005.jpg

Rainbow Lorikeets
RainbowLorikeet001.jpg

Warriewood Reserve
An awesome spot for seeing birds. It has a boardwalk running through the main section of Irrawong Reserve making it very accessible. You can then cross the road and take the track to the waterfall, or turn to your right and follow the track to pond to see some more waterbirds. It's a great place for watching visiting Kingfishers when they come back.
There is a great field guide which can be purchased at the book store in the neaby shopping center. I think there has been nealy 150 different birds recorded here.

Kingfisher
SacredKingfisher006.jpg

Royal Spoonbill
RoyalSpoonbill003.jpg

The Waterfall at the end of Irrawong Reserve
IrrawongCresWaterfall002.jpg

Deep Creek
A personal favourite. There are some spots further around that are really good for viewing all manner of birds. The last couple of trips in the last few weeks yielded Rose Robins, Scarlet Honeyeaters, White-headed Pigeons, Brown Cuckoo Doves Golden Whistler etc. I've even heard that there is a resident Brusk-Turkey, but I'm yet to spot him. It's definetly worth a few trips.

Lewin's Honeyeater
LewinsHoneyeater004.jpg

Deep Creek Bridge looking South towards Narrabeen Lagoon
DeepCreek.jpg

Brown Cuckoo-Dove
BrownCuckoo-Dove003-1.jpg

Manly Dam
Lots of ducks! Pelicans, Egret's, Swans, Dusky Moorhens, Purpleswamp hens inhabit the waters edge. Plenty of Honeyeaters, wattlebirds, Rosella's, Wrens, Pardalotes, Robins etc to be found all over the dam.
[/list]

Manly Dam looking East towards the Entrance
ManlyDam002.jpg

Crimson Rosella's preparing to take a bath.
CrimsonRosellas002.jpg

The landscape is fairly similar in most of those places, so seeing some of the same types of birds in all those places is pretty normal. But I do find that I am constantly seeing newer species, especially around Deep Creek, Warriewood and Manly Dam.
All up, I've seen a touch over 100 birds in the past 2 years, but I know there are definelty a lot more out there waiting to be seen.

I'm going to be home in Collaroy next week for a couple of weeks and will be checking out all the places you mention most days. If you're lucky you could see a Black Bittern at Deep Creek and Striated herons around the lake. You're right about the Nankeen Night Heron at Dee Why Lagoon . I've seen it there a couple of times. Let me know if your going to be there over the next two weeks. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back