• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS 300D (1 Viewer)

pauliev69

Proud Smoggie
Hi, is anyone currently using the EOS 300D? At the moment I am Digiscoping and really enjoy it but I feel I want to add an extra dimension to my photography. The above camera has some rave rewiews and is in my price bracket, what do you experts think?
The next question has to be lens, I will using the camers for bird photography so I presume a zoom lens would be the answer, but what size, make and importantly how much ? I thank you in anticipation of any advice you can offer a novice :h?:

I suggest you hangfire a short while Paul and see what Nikon produces with the forthcoming D70. That's what I'm doing anyways.

Chris

While the 300D is a nice camera, do remember that it is an entry level dslr (which might be exactly what you are looking for, I don't know). Also, while the 300D is receiving favorable reviews, I have not seen rave reviews of it. So if you have those, I would appreciate it if you could provide that link. Did you see this BF thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=8524&page=1?

I would also agree with Chris' suggestion, if you are not in a hurry, to see what the D70 will actually be. Odds are quite favorable that it will have some more bells and whistles than the 300D (why bring out the basically same camera when Canon already has brand name recognition?).

However, as far as a lens zoom, yes you will HAVE to have that. Anything less than a 400mm, IMO, is a waste of money (if it is the only zoom lens you have). If you have the money for a 500mm with a teleconvertor mounted onto that (handy in your bag in case you need it), then go that route. Either way, at least a 400m w/teleconvertor would be the minimum as my suggestion.

Hi - I have a 300D and it is quite adequate for me. You can use it in fully auto mode, shutter priority, aperture priority and fully manual and although not as sophisticated as the 10D it does me. You can see a picture I have taken with it at...

http://homepages.zen.co.uk/~zen19330/starling.jpg

...I believe the 10D is being discontinued soon so there may be good offers around soon for this. I also believe that Canon are bringing out up to 20 new digital cameras this year and assume at least 1 is to replace the 10D.

I also have a Canon 75-300 USM Zoom with Image stabilization (which the above picture was taken with) but don’t feel at the moment that I get good enough results handheld for the price difference of a normal 75-300 so (at least at the moment) I would personally not recommend that one.

The only thing that I find difficult with the 300D is fill in flash, but that may be just me and until I experiment more cant really give more of an a indication of what I think about this.

If you have any particular questions just post and I will see if I can answer them.

Terry

PS someone above mentioned the built in flash poping up but that is only in pre-programmed modes like 'portrait' etc which I never use, it doesn’t popup in the modes I have mentioned above.

I understand if you have EOS lenses from non digital EOS SLR's that they will work on the 300D - is that correct?

Doug said:
I understand if you have EOS lenses from non digital EOS SLR's that they will work on the 300D - is that correct?
Hi Doug - yes the 300D has a 'Canon EF mount' so other EF lenses will fit but if you get a 300D and 18-55 EF-S kit then the 18-55 EF-S will not fit non digital cameras edit... or the 10D. I *believe* at the moment only the 300D has a EF-S mount..

Terry

Last edited:
Thanks for that Terry. I have a couple of Lenses for my EOS SLR so that may help with my decision. I don't suppose they will fit the 10D?

I believe the 10D will take the same lenses as the 300D - it's an EF fit. It's just that the lenses made for the 300D will not fit any other Canon, as I've understood.

Doug all the old EOS lenses fit the 10D and the 300D. The 300D is a fine camera but is not as solidly built (and heavy) as the 10D.So if you don't mind humping a little more weight about and spending the extra £100/150 or so I would go for the 10D. That's what I did when I had the chance to compare both models in the shop and have never regretted my decision.

Thanks Guys - that information is very useful in the task of convincing my wife of the benefits of a 10D!!! it appeals to her that my other lenses will fit especially as she bought them for me as an anniversary present just a year before digital became mainstream!! I wish I had held on and not bought the SLR - but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Adey Baker said:
Where can you get a 10D for £100-£150 more than the 300D? (unless there's some very over-priced 300Ds around!)

I agree, more like £300-£400. Still worth it though! I almost went for the 300D and decided against it at the last minute. I'm not sure if I'll use all the extras on the 10D, but at least they are there if I want to.

Only trouble is, I've not had much chance to practise, what with the bad weather at the weekends and working when the sun's shining.

Perhaps I did underestimate the price difference but I seem to recall seeing the 10D body quoted at only for £1049 somewhere on the internet from an English supplier very recently and you know how competitive this digital camera market now seems to be . Nevertheless I still maintain that for the extra money and especially if you already have EOS lenses then, to my mind, the 10D is the better buy. I'm like you Diane in that it is frustrating having this super camera system in the car and then to be confronted almost daily with dark dreary weather so that you cannot use it effectively! :C

Last edited:
I had exactly the same decision to make a few weeks back and also went for the 10d.
A big issue for me is the buffer on the 300d can only 4 shots before writing compared to the 10d's 9. (in addition to this the 300d has a slower fps)
Ive only had my 10d a week and have gone past 4 shots (continuous shooting) an absolute pile of times.
That on its own is worth the 300 quid difference I reckon.

Pete.

Doug, If you're still thinking of getting the 10D, I'm not sure if the supply of them is any better than before Xmas. On the Warehouse Express site they still have them as out of stock 'due to supply problems from Canon UK'.

I bought mine from Jacobs in Sheffield (off the Moor), £40 cheaper than WE. I ordered it on Xmas Eve and it was in stock by the following Monday. The lens arrived on New Year's Eve so I picked the lot up on the 2nd Jan.

I didn't bother trying to price-match, as I did with my G3 at Jessops, as I believe the item has to be in stock at the place you're price-matching with, and after ringing round myself trying to get one, I discovered that they were in short supply everywhere.

Aye I think they are still out of stock in most places Diane. Only place I found with them in stock was Park cameras which was also a 200 quid cheaper than Jessops.
Which was nice. :)

The reason Park Cameras have always got the Canon 10d in stock is that they are a Canon professional dealer and have a massive stock of Canon And Nikon equipment,Ive visited Park Cameras on several occasions,the staff are very knowledgeable and always willing to offer advice.Although Jessops will price match, Ive often found the staff not very knowlergeable,and equipment not always in stock.

pauliev69 said:
Hi, is anyone currently using the EOS 300D? At the moment I am Digiscoping and really enjoy it but I feel I want to add an extra dimension to my photography. The above camera has some rave rewiews and is in my price bracket, what do you experts think?
The next question has to be lens, I will using the camers for bird photography so I presume a zoom lens would be the answer, but what size, make and importantly how much ? I thank you in anticipation of any advice you can offer a novice :h?:

Hi Paul
I also have the canon 300D, I use it with an adaptor and a T-ring with a TeleVue Ranger (480mm f6.3). The big problem not using a canon lense is the focus that has to be manual, and that sometimes gets on my nerves in long distance shots. At the moment I am trying to find some help and use it with the 18-55mm adated to the scope but as far with no luck , so if anyone has any ideas....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back