• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Category:Anseranatidae (1 Viewer)

Clements from 2005 lists Magpie Goose within Anatidae - on what basis are we separating the genus as it's only family?

I wonder if that is from H&M? Clements in sixth edition also has Magpie Goose in Anatidae. If you want to change this, please do not delete Category:Anseranatidae, but instead make a link to Anatidae as well as editing the magpie goose to show its new genus (and include a mention of the previously used genus, perhaps even with a link to that category).

Niels

I wonder if that is from H&M? Clements in sixth edition also has Magpie Goose in Anatidae. If you want to change this, please do not delete Category:Anseranatidae, but instead make a link to Anatidae as well as editing the magpie goose to show its new genus (and include a mention of the previously used genus, perhaps even with a link to that category).

Niels

I won't change it without a discussion of the sources (presumably on this thread) and a consensus between a those who comment.

I'm pretty sure Anseranatidae is from the IOC (Gill & Wright 2006) list. I think JT used IOC to set up parts of the structure originally, and I remember him saying that we need to make some corrections, so I'm sure its fine to make the change.

Fact is, if we want to rid the opus of this family, we need to know what H&M says. Avibase says it bases its families off H&M, and if that's the case, Clements and H&M don't have a consensus, so we go to status quo.

Well, as far as status quo, IOC and the Royal Australian Ornithologists' Union (Christidis & Boles, 1994) put Anseranatidae as a full-fledged family.

When we agreed to enter families and orders into Opus, we agreed to go with Clements for these levels, because starting from scratch you kind of have to use one resource so that things don't become too complicated.

Niels

To clarify (hopefully I have this right?!): The original set of species was based on Sibley & Monroe 1993, and (partly) updated using S&M 1996; S&M 1996 is therefore our starting point. In some situations, however, this is now outdated, and as S&M has not had further updates, we have therefore decided to change if there is a consensus between the latest Clements and H&M regarding splits or lumps at the species and genus levels.

On the other hand, the family/order category project came later, and in this case (in order to keep things simple??!!) we decided to use only Clements (for the family & order structure) because this is the most regularly updated, widely accepted taxonomic authority covering the whole world.

Anyway, thats the way I see it; please correct me if I am wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back