• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somali Ostrich (1 Viewer)

S&M, 1996 - full species
H&M - ???
Clements, 2005 - subspecies of "camelus"

Can I get a H&M reference?

If you believe in Denis doing a good job with avibase, then this one can easily be solved with looking on this page: http://www.bsc-eoc.org/avibase/species.jsp?lang=EN&id=4BD6A84329149B9D&ts=1214418953093&sec=summary. Only Sibley and Monroe has recognized this as a split, all others including H&M and the latest Clements has it as a subspecies. This is similar to others we have lumped in opus, of course with appropriate mention in the text of both the Ostrich entry and the genus entry.

Niels

There's a lot of information in both the Ostrich article and the Somali Ostrich article. I've put in a "Merge" Template to make people aware of this discussion - and perhaps someone who knows more about the two species can help merge the information. I myself don't know enough about these two species to plug in the necessary and remove the unnecessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back