• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starting Out - Avoiding the Pitfalls (1 Viewer)

Graham,

I've read that article many times and still think it is one of the best and funniest items on becoming a bird watcher.

Graham

Thankyou for posting, and for your article on beginning birding. I have just read it, and found it hilarious. I sympathise and agree that the what initially seems like a fairly cheap hobby can become an awfully expensive way of life. Now where can I get a DSLR & 500mm lens and converter from, do I relly need the leica scope and Bins. And how do you tell a Hedge Sparra from a Reed Wobbler?. Me!, Whaja mean, Dude?.

Last edited:
As amusing and well written as any of Bill Oddie's stories in Gripping Yarns.
Makes me think of the time............... no, better not go there.
Steve

Thank you for that very enjoyable article. In many respects, I'm currently where you were (but fortunately I didn't have an astronomical telescope to take into the field).

Typically, what I do is photograph any birds I am unsure of (if practical to do so) and refer to the guides after my trip to identify them. I've only recently started recognising different bird calls.

Unfortunately, here in Trinidad, not too many are involved in birding and those that are are somewhat inaccessible. Birding in groups is limited to mabye 6 times a year. I am therefore usually the only one on my birding treks.

This birdforum has been a godsend for me. However, I'm always on the lookout for anything that can really improve my ability to identify birds in the field.

Any ideas for a solitary birder with a camera and a few field guides?

What I think would be particularly useful would be a database of images, bird calls and narratives for the birds in Trinidad, but unfortunately that does not really exist (as least in a form for rapid identification).

rka

Brilliant! Started my day off with a laugh for a change. I'm going to be late for work now, but who cares, it was worth it! :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back