• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attempting Warblers (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
I will be trying to photograph warblers this year, as and when they turn up, does anyone have any advice on this, as when I have tried in the past I end up with a blur, or in the case of a sardinian warbler in Mallorca last year only the body on view.

Tips needed please o:D

Asley

Tranquilisers, A cigar called Hamlet.
Digiscoping?.
Patience, Pre-focus on something static, large, the same distance away from the bird.
And I suppose luck, although looking at some peoples pics and the regularity that they get them, its more expertise than just dumb luck!.:h?:

Ashley if your back in Mallorca in spring there is a Fig tree just above the Finca in the Bocquer valley that always seems to hold passage warblers in Spring-mainly Sylvias but also a few Leaf-Warblers. I've had Blackcap, Whitethroat, Orphean, Chiff-Chaff & Redstart in it at the same time with Sardinian on the nearby fence. I've never been fast enough on the draw to catch the nearby Marmoras however.

Slow painful stalk (usually through thorny bushes), painstaking framing (always with twigs in the way), careful focus (straining eyes in dim light due to heavy canopy cover), slow intake of breath, click..wee buggar moves >...........blurrrrrrrrr! :eek!: Welcome to the wonderful world of warbler photography! ;)

Attachments

• Sardinian-Warbler.jpg
    Sardinian-Warbler.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 215
Hey I've got one of those warbler shots!

Good luck Ashley

Woody

Attachments

• warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 228
Hi Ashley

With most birds, and warblers are no exception, the best method is with prior observation of the individuals habits, most have favoured song, preening or look-out perches, and will return at regular intervals. Aditional to this, when they are nesting and feeding a sitting partner or young, they will usually use the same route and perches on entry to, and exit from the nest.
Once you have good knowledge of where it is most likely to perch its just a case of setting up and waiting.

Attachments

• sardwarb.jpg
    sardwarb.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Would one of those camouflage throwover nets be any help? I don't fancy lugging a hide around, but had been looking at Wildlife Watching Supplies, as per previous posts, and wondered whether to get one for stuffing in the rucksac.

Just drab or camouflaged clothing is all thats needed, In the case of the Sardinian pic shown I was in denim shorts and a white t-shirt, but the real issue is staying still. Many people try too hard to get close to birds, the knack is to do the groundwork, then let them come close to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back