• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which tripod for Diascope 85 T* FL? (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi,

I am thinking about buying the above mentioned scope and would like to know if I really need the Zeiss tripod (308 Euro here) or if there is any other that equals this tripod but has a lower price (Because I am already stretching my limits with the scope).
Can somebody perhaps recommend something?

Joern

The Zeiss tripod is in reality the Manfrotto 055SSB with 128RC head. I really wouldn't go with anything smaller, especially if you plan on using it for digiscoping. Sometimes you can get a "sale" where Zeiss includes the tripod as part of the package.

The optic manufacturers usually charge a premium for their 'Manfrotto' pods... at least you get the honour of having their name on it. You'll probably find the same tripod/head for less money under it's real name.

The Manfrotto 055 isn't my favourite tripod (snappy & noisy leg locks) but it's a solid piece of equipment.
Regards,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
The optic manufacturers usually charge a premium for their 'Manfrotto' pods... at least you get the honour of having their name on it. You'll probably find the same tripod/head for less money under it's real name.

The Manfrotto 055 isn't my favourite tripod (snappy & noisy leg locks) but it's a solid piece of equipment.
Regards,
Andy

I agree with Andy that you could probably buy the same tripod/head combo cheaper, unless it's included as part of a Zeiss promotion. For example, I ended up with the Zeiss 85/ 20-60x zoom, and tripod for 1500USD as part of their promo back in October. Usually you can expect to pay that price for scope and eyepiece alone.

As far as the leg locks, I like the snap type because I'm sure that the things are actually locked (I've had more than one tripod collapse because I thought I'd twisted the locks in place only to discover 'OOPS! Not That One!). But, that's just a matter of personal preference. Solid tripod? Yep... and heavy as well.

Just my $0.02,

GR

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back